Chapter 9

Thank you Heartburningwithfire for making me a new cover!! Thank you!! :D

And thank you xKiraxD for sticking with this story for so long :)

Chapter 9

The rest of the week flew by in a confused blur. Every time I summoned up enough courage to walk up to Alex, he would turn tail and avoid me like the plague. It hurt to see him walk away but Cole was there to comfort me each time. I didn’t even know why I felt the way I did. We definitely weren’t mates, which I was sure of. He wouldn’t have left me if he was and I was pretty sure my wolf would at least surface. I would have at least felt a small tug of my wolf but I didn’t feel anything at all.

At least that’s what mom said. I grimaced ever so slightly. But what Cole said was the complete opposite of what she said. I decided to side with mom since my wolf didn’t magically pop up yet. This was all so confusing.

Sighing, I trudged to my first period, reluctant to see Alex with his girlfriend again. Standing in front of the door, I hesitated to go in. Maybe I should ditch. That didn’t sound that bad right now. Just as I was going to run away, a reassuring hand pressed against my back.

“Melony, don’t let him get the best of you. You’re a strong girl, you can do this.” Cole said; his voice pitched lower so the people around us couldn’t hear. Instantly I felt embarrassed. Cole was right; I was fussing over nothing. Alex wasn’t going to talk to me; I wasn’t going to talk to him. He probably forgot about the kiss and had already moved on and I was just mulling over nothing.

I flashed Cole a smile, “Thanks.”

He returned my smile and opened the door, leading me to my seat. I immediately noticed Alex. His usual group of friends surrounded him, his girlfriend sitting in his lap. She was nestled up against his chest and my stomach burned with jealousy.

Cole tensed ever so slightly and he shot a glare in Alex’s direction. Alex’s relaxed posture stiffened as he saw Cole and me. His eyes traveled down lower until it stopped at Cole’s hand, which was still rested at the middle of my back. Curious why Alex was no longer paying attention to her, his girlfriend also swiveled her attention to me.

Catching my eye, she smiled and gave me a small wave. Their group of friends also looked up at me. Unnerved by all the attention, I shook off Cole’s hand and quickly shot into my seat. Moments later, Cole settled down into the seat beside me. The teacher strode into the room just as the bell rang and started the lecture. After listening to the gibberish he was talking about for a while, I soon started tuning him out. I had no idea why I was in an advanced class. Maybe I should to see if I could drop out later.

Then I had the sudden strange feeling of someone watching me. Turning around in my seat, I looked behind me. I scanned the room for a bit before my eyes connected with Alex’s. So many emotions flickered across his eyes but I only caught a few, regret, pain, and betrayal. I blinked; I shouldn’t be able to read people’s emotions just by looking at their eyes.

“Meet me outside during lunch.” He mouthed. Flashes of how he left me flickered through my mind and left my heart clenching in pain. No, I was going to be strong and ignore Alex no matter hard it was to. I swiveled back around without replying.

There was a nagging feeling in the back of my head that left me feeling frustrated. There was something about Alex leaving me that seemed so familiar but I just didn’t know why. My heart seemed to know the answer but it refused to tell me.

My fingers curled into a fist on my lap. It was so frustrating that I could feel tears building up. I had a nagging feeling that all the answers to my questions were sitting right in front of me but I just couldn’t seem to find it. My head shot up when a familiar warm hand was placed gently on top of my shaking one.