XIII

When you arrived in Toshima, the day was sunny and a few drops of sweat were beginning to slide under your uniform shirt as you walked through the neighborhood's streets. You had been looking for the address indicated in the mission report for a while, but between the heat, the numerous pages of the file, and the incessant voice talking to you on the phone, you were unable to find the house where some of the disappearances had been reported.

According to what you had read, several civilians had disappeared in the Toshima neighborhood over the last few months. It didn't catch the school's attention until a low-ranking shaman went there to perform an exorcism and disappeared without a trace. And then another.

Now it was your turn to investigate what was happening, and you counted on your first grade being enough to deal with the curse causing all of this. As long as you were able to find the house where they were last seen, of course. You held the phone against your ear with your shoulder to have your hands free and flip through the report more easily. There was too much information, and Gojo wasn't helping at all.

"I asked the guy at the store what flavor the chocolates were, and you wouldn't guess what they are," Gojo barely stopped talking to take a breath and continue his diatribe. They had been talking since he dropped you off at the car that morning, and in your opinion, they had exhausted the conversation hours ago.

"Mhm..." You responded absentmindedly.

"They're made of dog poop," Gojo said, disgusted.

"Mhm..." You replied while flipping through the report chaotically. Gojo growled on the other end of the line, and several pages of paper fell to the floor from the startle.

"I knew it!" Gojo exclaimed. "You're not even paying attention."

"I'm working, and I can't find the damn address for the house," you growled back while trying to dust off the part of the report that had touched the ground. "Shouldn't you be working too?"

You heard Gojo snort. "My next flight doesn't leave for another hour. You have no idea how boring airports are."

Ah, now it made sense. Gojo had to go to Europe for his mission and would use the plane to cover that long distance instead of using his power. He wasn't used to being cooped up in an airport and having layovers for several hours. That was why he was so talkative.

"Well, download a movie or take a stroll through Duty-Free like any normal person. I'll have to hang up soon, or I'll never finish this," you heard a silence and knew what was happening. "If you're trying to make me feel guilty with that puppy-dog face, it's not working over the phone."

You heard his laughter and knew you had hit the mark. You continued walking down the street, looking at the houses on both sides, searching for the indicated number.

"Will it work if I bark a little?" Gojo asked to get your attention.

"You have a loose wire in your brain," you retorted, and your friend laughed even louder. You knew that if you didn't change the subject soon, he would start barking in the middle of the airport just to embarrass you. "I can't find the damn house, I'm fed up!"

"The one for your mission?" Gojo asked.

"Yeah. The ink is smudged, and I can't read the street number," you protested, looking around with desperation.

"Typical Ijichi," Gojo grumbled. "It's number 2, in building 1F."

You were silent for a few seconds. Now that you looked closely, it could look like a two. You had confused it with a seven all this time.

"Have you read my mission report?" you asked on the phone. "You're such a snoop."

Gojo kept talking incessantly as you walked down the street until you arrived at number two. As soon as you were in front of the door, you froze. It was a two-story residential house with the entrance gate completely open giving off a huge amount of cursed energy. How had you not noticed before? It was evident.