XVIII

"It's the most sensible thing, y/n, I'm sorry," Yaga admitted.

When Gojo told you that you were forbidden from leaving the school grounds, you first thought it was just a figure of speech, not an actual prohibition. You didn't expect Yaga to agree with him.

"I'm an adult woman," you said, trying to hold back your anger. If it seemed like you were throwing a tantrum, you wouldn't help your case much. "You can't force me to be confined here."

"Yes, we can," Gojo's monotone voice chimed in from a corner of the room, cutting off Yaga.

You turned your head toward him and shot him a furious glare, but he didn't look up from his new phone. For days, it was the only thing that seemed to hold his attention, specifically since he returned to Japan.

Yaga let out a sigh, not used to having to agree with Gojo so often.

"It's true," the principal confirmed. "As a member of the jujutsu community and a teacher at this school, we have the authority to confine you here if your life or the lives of others are in imminent danger. And with a bounty on your head, we have enough justification to do so."

You mentally cursed the idiot who had placed the bounty on you and wished you could go out and find them yourself to put an end to the problem. But of course, you couldn't.

"I hope this won't be a problem for continuing with your class schedule," the professor hinted.

"No, of course not," you grumbled. "Since I'm already stuck here, the only thing I can do is work."

You didn't wait for Yaga to dismiss you before leaving his office, and as soon as you crossed the door, Gojo appeared by your side, silent and phone in hand.

"You don't need to follow me everywhere," you snapped at your friend. "Bounty hunters won't dare to come in here."

Gojo looked up from the screen for a moment, catching you by surprise, and gave you a cold stare.

"I'm not worried about who might enter the school, but rather who wants to leave."

You stopped dead in your tracks in the courtyard and confronted Satoru.

"Hey, have I done something to make you angry with me?" you asked, jabbing a finger into his chest threateningly. "Because the last thing I remember is almost dying, and now you're spending all day..." you leaned in to see what he was doing on his phone and held back a growl of rage— "playing Subway Surfers? Is this a joke? Is this why you won't even look at me?"

Gojo's expression didn't change in the slightest. The same indifference.

"I'm not angry," he replied.

"Well, you know what I think?" you said, unable to hold back your anger at his cold attitude. "I think you're upset because I got hurt while you weren't around, and you couldn't do anything to prevent it."

Satoru's lips tightened almost imperceptibly, and you felt, finally, a bit of satisfaction. You had annoyed him. It didn't make you happy, but anger was better than indifference. At least it was a sign that he did care.

"Whatever you say," Gojo muttered, starting a new round of the game, and you held back the urge to knock his phone to the ground with a swipe of your hand.

Your mood didn't improve as the days went on, and neither did Gojo's attitude, who never left you alone for a moment.

If you were teaching a class, he would sit in the back for the entire hour. If you were training with the boys, he would follow you to the training field. And when you went to bed, he would settle on your couch, where you found him the next morning still in his street clothes. You didn't see him sleep a single night. Gojo didn't take his eyes off you for a second during the day, but he also didn't speak to you. He was always present, silent, and distant like a ghost.