XXIII

Suguru Geto had the presence of a king.

He sat alone in the café, his back straight and his chin held high, his narrowed eyes focused on the entrance. His suit wrapped around him with pomp; his partially tied-back hair crowned his head.

People around him didn't dare to look his way, as if they'd get burned staring at the sun. Or as if they sensed that he could harm them at any moment.

They were probably right.

As you approached his table, he made a motion to stand and greet you, but you ignored him and sat in the chair across from him.

"Hey," you greeted with a smile. "How are you?"

"You kept me waiting," he replied. You shrugged.

"There was traffic."

Suguru narrowed his eyes; he didn't believe you, but you didn't care. He took a few seconds to look you up and down, as if searching for any flaws. Damage control, very Suguru of him. Then his expression shifted to one of strained cordiality, forced and fake.

"I see you're doing well."

"You mean the stabbing?" You put your hands on your stomach and tapped it lightly. "I'm fine, thanks." You spat out the last word.

"I was worried," he pouted, almost making you laugh.

"Yeah, sure."

"It's true," he sighed. "We found out late. If you hadn't killed the bounty hunter, we would have." You couldn't believe his audacity.

"I know it was you guys, Suguru."

"Yes, I know it's leaked," he raised his palms. "But the order was to take you alive. That guy overstepped."

"Well, that's what happens when you put a price on someone's head. You don't get suited officials coming with a warrant asking you to come along," you retorted.

The waitress interrupted your rant, approaching your table to take your order. She spoke quickly and tersely, not wanting to look at your companion. She must have been picking up some bad vibes from his side of the table. You ordered an iced tea for yourself, and the poor girl turned to Suguru, her voice tense.

"And you?"

Suguru looked at her with disdain, his arms crossed over his chest and his lip curled as if witnessing something disgusting.

"The same," he said reluctantly.

"Rude," you scolded him when the girl left.

He just stuck his tongue out at you.

"Why the hell did you do it?" you asked, picking up the thread of your thoughts. "One day you're telling me to go with you, and the next I'm almost killed because of you. Are you insane? Did you have a psychotic break or something?"

Suguru let out a heavy sigh and leaned over the table, toward you.

"You had to see how truly vulnerable you are," he said softly, his eyes shining. "How long were you bleeding out in that alley, hmm?"

"I was on the brink of death thanks to you, yes. I don't see how this argument is helping you," you shot back. "It was Nanami who got me out of there. Shoko who healed me. If it weren't for the school, I wouldn't be sitting here; I'd be buried somewhere."

"Nanami?" His lips parted slightly, as if surprised. Quite the performance. "It wasn't Gojo? Wow."

You pressed your tongue against the inside of your cheek and looked out the café window.