traitor

—Flashback—

Third person pov

Tony stealthily flew up the empty elevator shaft with a new mindset.

Once he reached the floor he was looking for, he began to pry the doors open.

Two pairs of eyes appeared from the other side.

Steve and Bucky were shocked to see Tony and kept their guard up.
Not knowing whether he'd attack or not.

Tony landed on the ground and took of his helmet, before walking up to them.

"You seem a little defensive." Tony stated the obvious.

"It's been a long day." Steve says slowly walking towards him with his shield up.

Tony looked up at Bucky who was pointing a gun towards him, not moving a muscle.

"At ease soldier, I'm not currently after you."

"Then why are you here?" Steve said bringing Tony's attention back.

"Could be your story's not so crazy. Maybe." He apologizes. "Ross has no idea I'm here, I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself."

"Well that sounds like a lot of paperwork." Steve says.

Tony light-heartedly scoffs.

"It's good to see you, Tony." Steve breathes out, putting his shield down to his side.

"You too, Cap." Tony smiles.

They looked at each other for a moment. So relieved, so grateful and so happy to see each other. They might not have agreed on everything, but they knew they'd always be there for one another. Whatever it takes...or so they thought. Who knew the sweet moment would fall short.

Tony looked back up at Bucky who still hadn't moved an inch.

"Hey, Manchurian Candidate! You're killing me. There's a truce here, you can drop..." Tony said as he motioned towards his weapon.

Steve looked back at Bucky to tell him it was okay, making him at ease.

The three of them searched the rest of the quiet abandoned
building, looking for any signs of Zemo.

After all, that's what they were there for...right?

They entered a room with giant test tubes where all the winter soldiers were kept.

Shocked and confused expressions grew across everyone's face.

They had been shot.

All of them.

Not one winter soldier left alive.

"If it's any comfort, they died in their sleep." a voice creeped in.

The three kept walking forward warily.

"Did you really think I wanted more of you?" The voice continued.