15. Awaking the Wasps

I learned a lot in the next two days. Firstly, I learned I was a fighter through and through. Sitting behind the computer, forced to wait for results that never led to anything, was frustrating as hell. Even my body hated it. I couldn't stand sitting on my ass. And second, I also learned that being a SOU elite meant that I'd be sitting on my ass behind a computer quite a lot.

But I didn't complain. Every time I felt even a little annoyed, I thought about the nameless kid, and what those sick fuckers could've been doing to him at that very moment. He needed to be saved. I had no time to be annoyed. Because of that, it was easy to stay up late at night and wake up early in the morning so I could keep an eye on the search results. I just desperately wished I would've found something actually useful by now...

The worst part was that the kid had to be somewhere in the crown city. He was in our very own backyard. The city limits were less than ten minutes away, and there I was, sitting behind a computer, only finding random footage of him from two or three years ago. I wanted to be out there searching for him. I couldn't stop feeling like asking people on the streets if they'd seen the guy in the picture could've helped him more than looking through our databases.

I'd written down every piece of information I'd found so far. When and where he'd been spotted, and especially with whom. My teammates had given me everything they'd discovered, and Keita and Chandler had even found a few people who'd met the kid, though they didn't have any useful information. And I had pictures. Dozens of them. It had turned into a massive report. I'd done it just to keep track of things, but I wished someone could use it against Lonnie Hill in court.

In case the bastard survived that long.

On Thursday evening, my search for the kid's name finally seemed to move forward. Since we couldn't find anything about the kid with the pictures we had of him, we needed images of him when he was a child. There obviously was none, so Captain had tried to get someone to help us to create younger versions of him, and finally, he found a guy with enough time on his hands.

That night, I went to bed feeling hopeful. Maybe now we'd finally learn who he was if we got accurate enough portraits of him when he was a child. Maybe someone had filed a missing person report? Maybe there was more footage of him in our database? Even a name?

I held my fingers crossed when I tried to fall asleep. I had trouble falling asleep because of how eager I was to get these new images. I wished so hard this was it... That we'd finally find him...

But Friday morning was not gentle to us.

"Reid? Reid! Wake up!" someone whispered somewhere close by.

At first my sleepy brain didn't really register it, but when I forced an eye open and saw light coming into our otherwise dark room, I was suddenly wide awake. Someone stood in the doorway, looking in, and my omega's first reaction was to get scared, but then we both understood it was Captain. Reid was also up, making his hasty way to him.

"What's going on?" he asked while I sat up.

"Come, come, I'll explain..." Captain said, but then noticed me. He froze for a second, then smiled. "You can go back to sleep, Riley."

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Don't worry about it. Go back to sleep," he said again.

I could sense the urgency and anxiety in the room. Something was happening.

"You think I can sleep now?" I asked as I tossed my covers aside and got up.

Captain let out a sigh. "Fine. Put on something warm and join us in the meeting room."