20. Nothing to Endure

I stared out the window in our room, curled up under a blanket on the couch. I did feel better now, but I couldn't quite stop myself from thinking about... about how I got here, on this team. My past. I was still a little shaken after breaking down like that. I tried so hard to find my balance and push the memories back into the deepest part of my mind. I shouldn't have broken down like that...

I was stronger than that.

I just had to... Had to what? Endure?

Was that it...? Was that why I was so easily breaking apart now? Because I didn't have anything to endure now? That was how I'd survived for this long. I'd told myself to endure whatever I was forced to go through. But there was nothing to endure anymore.

Now there were only the things I'd let happen to myself.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts, and I turned to face it. I could sense two people behind it. My omega perked up when it recognized its two favorite alphas. I wanted to smile and cry at the same time...

"Riley? Can we come in?" Captain asked.

"Yeah, sure," I said, pulling the covers tighter around myself while Captain pushed the door open.

"Hi," he said with a smile, while Reid peered in behind his shoulder. "Can we come in? We got chocolate for you."

There was nothing to endure anymore...

"Yeah, sure," I said.

They must've talked already...

They stepped in, and while Captain made his way slowly to me, Reid stopped in the middle of the room, looking like he didn't know what to do with himself.

"Here's your chocolate," Captain said as he sat on the couch next to my legs and pulled five large bars from his bag.

"That's a lot of chocolate," I noted.

"I didn't know what you like the most," he said with a smile.

I had to smile back at him. "Thank you."

He nodded. "How are you feeling? Did you have a good shower?"

"I'm good now, and yeah. I talked with Daz for a bit. He was there too," I said.

"I see. What did you talk about?" Captain asked. I felt like a little kid again...

"Secrets," I said with a smirk.

Captain let out a short chuckle. "I see. Daz is all right, isn't he?"

"He's nice," I agreed. "Everyone is."

"Good. That's good," he said gently.

I nodded, then looked away. "Did you... talk?"

"Reid and I?" Captain asked quietly.

"Yeah..."

"We did, but you don't have to worry about any of that," Captain told me soothingly.

"Okay... Good..." I muttered.

"Hey..."

I didn't really want to look up, but eventually, I did. Captain gave me a gentle smile when our eyes met.

"Don't worry about it," he repeated. "You just rest now, okay? Eat all the chocolate I brought you and watch TV the whole day. Does that sound good?"

I wrinkled my nose a little. It didn't sound like a bad idea, but I feared it would only drive me crazy.

"I suppose," I finally said.

"Okay," Captain said, then peered at Reid before turning back to me. "Would you mind if Reid keeps you company?"