Chapter 1

Allie hair and outfit

I wish life were like the books, you know? Simple, with not so many worries. Just guy meets girl, they fall in love, and live happily ever after. I want that, but unfortunately, I live in reality where girl meets guy, they fall in love, but more than likely, don't live happily ever after.

Like my parents, for example. They used to be young and in love, then boom, divorce, and they can't even talk or be in the same room as each other. I hate that. Maybe one day I'll find it, but I guess not right now, not at this moment. It would be nice though, having something in my life.

All I do is study, trying to be my best, hang out with Maggie, my best friend, read, and that's it, nothing else. I want excitement in my life, but first, school, of course, the place I love and hate.

I love learning; it's just the people that make me want to scream.

While getting my books, I feel a presence. Walking towards me is Maggie, my best friend since pre-K. Me and her are very different. She likes to party and get drunk. I like drinking too, but not like her. In everything I'm the driver in those situations. I'm lucky to have her, and she's lucky to have me.

"Hey, Allie," she said.

"Hey, what's up, Maggie? How was your weekend?" I asked and closed my locker.

"Eh, it was okay. I just stayed home. What about you?"

"You know how it is. If I'm not with you, I'm reading or sleeping," I said.

"You still haven't finished that book?" she asked, giving me a look.

"No, but I like when books are long; they give me something to do."

We started walking to our first period of class.

"You could do other things than read all day, like maybe go to a party or find a boyfriend," Maggie suggested.

I chuckled because she can't be serious right now. "You're funny, but I don't need a party. That stuff is just people having fun and getting drunk. It's not my vibe right now. I don't need a boyfriend to have fun. Yes, it would be nice to have one, but not right now. And you're talking about boyfriends, but you don't have one," I said, holding my books.

"Parties are a great way to meet people. I'm going to get a boyfriend like Trey."

I rolled my eyes. Trey, one of the popular guys at our school, had been her crush since second grade. We're juniors now, and I kept telling her she needed to make a move soon, or he'd be making out with another girl in five seconds.

"One day, just not today. Plus, it's hard; he's already friends with Nathan. That's hard enough," Maggie explained.

The bell rang, and we went to our first period, my favorite class in the world, English.

As I got prepared for class, I sat in my seat and, of course, saw Nathan Woods, or as some people called him, Nate. He was the popular guy that everybody wanted or wanted to be like, according to multiple sources. By sources, I mean overhearing boys cry in the bathroom and girls looking at him. He got what he wanted. I don't shame anyone who likes him, but to me, he was just another guy.

"Hey, Allie," he said as he sat down. I sighed, ignoring him. He knew I didn't like him like the other girls, but he just didn't understand why.

"I said hi," I replied.

"My friends only call me Allie. You're not my friend," I said.

"I thought we were," he said with sarcasm. I chuckled, but I didn't care about his sarcastic remarks.

"I'll be your friend when tacos fall from the sky," I said. His friends laughed before he could respond. Class started, and I smiled a little, knowing that sometimes making him mad was enjoyable to me. I didn't hate him, I didn't like him, he was just there. I didn't know.

The bell rang, and Nathan went to his best friend, Trey.

"Still nothing on Allison?" Trey asked.

"Nope. I don't get it. She's the only girl who doesn't like me," Nathan replied, looking around and talking.

"I mean, she's the only girl you have a crush on," Trey pointed out.

"Yeah, but she doesn't like me at all," Nathan lamented.

"That sucks for you, my dude."

"Speaking of crushes, you and Maggie, Allison's friend, you have a crush. Ask her out," Nathan advised, looking at him with crossed arms.

"I will. I have a plan this year, my year. And you better ask out Allison."

"Trust me, I will. I promise."

Is he that sure though?