Chapter 3

Allison hair and outfit

I swear Nathan gets on my nerves. Just because he's popular and 'attractive' doesn't mean everybody will like you and do whatever you tell them to. I'm not like that. I've known him since elementary school, and he wasn't always like this. But you know how it is; sixth grade hit, and everything changed. Puberty hit everybody, but his transformation was like a rocket launch. Suddenly, girls were swarming around him.

Then, by 9th grade, he had at least five or more girlfriends and a million people following him, worshipping him 24/7. It's beyond annoying.

Another thing I don't get is why he always wants to talk to me so much. I don't get it. I know he doesn't want to be my friend. Look at me, and look at him.

People hardly know I exist, while everybody knows him, and we are completely different people. He's a golden retriever, and I'm a black cat. It just doesn't mix. Also, he can't possibly have a crush on me either. I'm out of his league. But, you know what? Enough talk about Nathan. I need to sleep.

The next day at school, at my locker, getting my books for class, Maggie came over to me with excitement.

"ALLIE!" She said, running towards me. I looked confused.

"Yes, Maggie?" I said calmly.

"I may have a chance with Trey," she said, trying not to scream.

"How?" I asked, closing my locker.

As we started walking to class together, Maggie explained, "So, you know the school-wide carnival this weekend?"

"Yeah, the one every year. What about it?" I asked.

"I bumped into Trey this morning. We started talking, and then out of nowhere, he asked me to the carnival!" she said with pure excitement in her voice. This is what she had always wanted.

"I'm happy for you, Mags, even though you hate those carnivals," I said.

"Yeah, but Trey is worth it. But speaking of the carnival—" She started to look at me with her eyes.

I already knew where this was going. One thing about Maggie, she can't do anything without me, and she's also terrible at talking to boys.

"Oh no."

"Allie, you have to go with me."

"Me? Being a third wheel? I don't think so," I said.

"Come on, Allie. It will be fun, and you're my wingwoman, please," she said with her puppy dog eyes that she knows I can't say no to.

I sighed in agreement.

"Fine, I'll go only because I have nothing else better to do and I love you," I said. Maggie gave me a big hug. Her excitement was still there but getting even bigger. The bell rang, and we left for class.

With the boys in the cafeteria.

"Congrats, Trey, you finally asked out Maggie without my help," Nate said, proud of his best friend.

"I know, I'm awesome. The carnival is fun, and I know she's competitive," Trey said.

"Smart, and she likes food anyway, so that's a bonus," Nathan said. Trey nodded his head in agreement with his friend, taking a sip of his water.

"But I do need a favor," Nathan already knew where this was going, luckily he was prepared for what Trey was about to ask him.

"I'm not going to be a third wheel," Nathan said.

"Come on, you're my wingman, I need you, and you won't be alone. Also, this can work in your favor," Trey said.

"How the hell is this going to work in my favor?"

"Because with Maggie goes Allison goes. They're never apart, so you can get close to Allison, and boom."

Nathan thought about it for a second, thinking about the opportunity. He could finally make a move while helping his best friend. He sighed in agreement.

"Fine, but only because you're my best friend and I have nothing else better to do," Nathan said. Trey was happy. The boys continued talking and going over their plans.

Everything is going to go well, hopefully. I'm not making any promises, but at least I get food out of it. After school, I went to the park to read and journal. It was very peaceful for me, and I got a break from my parents arguing on the phone. Well, when they ever talk to each other.

As I was reading, getting into the best part—

"Is he going to kiss her or not?" Nathan said behind me. I turned around to look at him. I was startled.

"What the hell, are you spying on me or something?"

"No, this is a free park, and I come here once a month," he said as he sat next to me.

"Okay, then why are you bothering me? There are other places for you to go, but here?!"

"Because I want to."

God, I'm so sorry, but I'm almost

at a point where I'm going to punch this boy in the face. Full force, not playing whatsoever.

"Anyway, what do you want?" I asked.

"Just wanted to see you," he said.

I rolled my eyes.

"Dude, we have three classes plus lunch. You see me everywhere," I said.

"I know that."

"So you just don't have any valid reason?" I asked, giving him a look.

"Well, just wanted to." He got up, about to leave. Thank God, I'm tired of him.

"By the way, you look very nice today. Your outfit brings out your eyes," Nathan said as he walked away from me.

He really just gave me a compliment like that? Was he flirting? Does he like me?