Chapter Ɣ

After the bombing, police involvement in the android cause became more accepted. A few guards were posted at each safe house and were to report as soon as they saw anything suspicious. Andrea wasn't gonna let another innocent android die on her watch and it seemed Captain Fowler agreed with her.

Andrea yawned as she climbed out of bed, wanting to get ready for the day as soon as possible. Her breakfast was the usual, a glass of orange juice and chocolate chip pancakes she had frozen in bulk from a few weeks earlier. Better to have breakfast ready than to make it in her mind. Then she put her hair in a ponytail and went for a run. It always helped to clear her mind, which was always needed from the previous day.

When she came back, she noticed her mailbox was open. Andrea looked around to see if anyone was nearby. Her mail didn't come until Sunday. Unless she ordered something and she forgot? Unlikely. The woman stuck her hand inside and took out the envelope. It was a nice, thick envelope. Something an older person might send.

Andrea flipped the envelope over and inspected it. Her name was written in deep blue ink. There was no return address. Interesting... She tore it open and took out the piece of parchment inside. It was an invitation. With blue designs on the edges of the paper, it read:

Dear Lieutenant Andrea Cartier,

We are inviting you to the first annual Android Needs Fundraiser Gala. After your acts in saving our people, we believe you'd like to be a small part in saving even more lives. Your bravery will not be forgotten by us and we'd be honored to have you as our guest.

The Gala will be held in New Jericho on floor fifty-eight should you choose to attend. Formal attire is required. Thank you.

Sincerely,

The Founders of New Jericho

Markus, Simon, Josh, and North.

With eyebrows raised, Andrea looked over the invitation again. Markus wanted to see her again. At a party? Huh. She folded her letter back up and went inside. She had to plan an outfit. She wasn't expecting to be invited, she thought the fundraiser was more of an android-only type of thing to begin with. Plus, the Gala was in just a few days.

Time to break out that show-stopping outfit, Andrea.

—-----

Connor already watched Hank eat his breakfast for a while and went to take Sumo on a walk. The big dog needed some time outside and Hank didn't like taking walks unless he had to. Leave it up to the perfectly fit and never-tired Connor to get the job done! He stopped at a nearby park, letting a few kids pet him.

Sumo was such an angel. Saint Bernards were huge but they were gentle giants, if not a bit slobbery sometimes. Connor let the dog rest at the park for a while, looking around at his surroundings.

It reminded him of the Eden Garden. Except that was artificial. This was real. With life everywhere. The children, their parents, trees, flowers, and even the gentle breeze filtering through tree branches. There was no small pond going in a circle but Connor couldn't have cared less. Nature calmed him far better than any breathing technique or reassuring post-it note could.

Maybe he should bring Hank here. Might wipe his grumpy look from his face.

Connor scratched behind Sumo's ear to let him know they were leaving. The dog got up and began walking back to Hank's house. The android smiled as he followed behind Sumo. As usual, Connor checked the mail once they got home. He hummed as he looked over some of the envelopes. Only one was out of place. It had no holograms on it at all. And no fingerprints.