Chapter ɩβ

Elijah Kamski.

The father of modern robotics. He created life from wires, plastic, and a few different chemicals mixed together. A new form of blood. Blue, so humans would know the difference. In some ways, he was God. A few steps down from him, nearly the same level as Andrea.

Elijah was a smart man. But he was also lonely. Perhaps that's why he created androids, to make something that would never leave him. A partner that would always stay no matter how much they probably should have. Elijah wasn't the most... easy to get along with. After creating androids, his ego inflated to an exponential degree.

He was a genius. It was time everyone else knew. However, this isolated him more. Paranoia grew from seemingly nowhere.

People would use him, wouldn't they? To get funds, to get attention, to get anything they could from him. He wanted... no, needed, to isolate himself from all the attention he was getting. Spending a decade at the forefront of the public mind could do a lot to a person.

—---

2034, August 11th

Andrea Cartier was a fresh Lieutenant after being a plain old detective for several years prior. It wasn't hard to feel pride in herself, she knew she deserved it. Her record was clean and nearly any case that made its way to her desk was solved within the following days. Sometimes weeks, depending on how demanding the case was.

She attended the police banquet held in downtown Detroit. Unfortunately, Hank couldn't make it, considering the fact that he wanted to drink himself to near death in the privacy of his own home and not be surrounded by people who would likely detain him for it.

Hank was Andrea's best, and only, friend. So she was alone. Sure, she could talk to Tina and her wife but it wasn't the same. They didn't know her. Not really. Whatever. Andrea would do anything for free food.

She decided it might be best to wear some sort of dress to the event so she wore a black floor–length evening gown that hugged her body in all the right places. It was sleeveless so it showed off her tattooed arms. Perhaps a police event wasn't the best place to wear such a thing but Andrea didn't have many other formal clothes. She'd need to get more later on, especially if she decided to go to more events like these.

There were a few food tables, some with different sorts of drinks and small hor dourve trays around. Compared to everything else, the tea sandwiches seemed to be the most appetizing. So Andrea decided to simply eat those. She barely paid attention to the actual ceremony. Occasionally, she'd listen to some speeches being made by people who were giving thanks or something of the sort to others in the audience or people who couldn't be there to celebrate with them.

Like Hank.

Distracted by the sandwiches, Andrea thought about Hank. He was like a father to her. Which was saying something because she was far older than him. Hank just... had that fatherly feeling. He'd worry about her but was strict on how she shouldn't worry about him. It was a strange dichotomy—their relationship. For someone like Andrea to take a liking to Hank, it took a lot. Thankfully, they had a lot of time together—because they worked together nearly every day.

"Hello..." Said a masculine voice from behind Andrea. She turned, assuming the person was addressing her. "And who might you be?"

Elijah Kamski, in the flesh. Likely there just to be thanked for a few new police androids given to the precinct by Cyberlife. And he was talking to her? Why?

Andrea suddenly became extra aware of her attire. She didn't know much about Elijah but she knew a lot about men. "Lieutenant Cartier." She responded as politely as possible. She didn't like new people. Especially when she wasn't around others she knew.