Chapter One: Busy

I stretched in a seated forward fold position, as I rotated my ankle to ease its soreness. I had a beginner yoga class in ten minutes and needed to prepare my body for it. My ankle was acting up again but, after all the injuries I'd endured, I expected it.

As an ex principal dancer for the San Francisco Ballet, I had experienced numerous sprains, primarily in my ankle. However, my chronic pain wasn't due to my dance injuries. Three years ago, during a visit to LA, I attended a concert at a local venue. My favorite band was playing and I was excited to attend with a few friends. The concert hall was overpacked, which resulted in a crowd surge. In my attempts to escape the chaos, I tripped and fell. As I tried to stumble my way back up, a man's boot crushed my ankle causing a fracture. The injury ended my career as a ballerina. The experience also led to my anxiety and depression.

I tried not to be too bitter about the situation. After all, my understudy was able to take over my solos and she deserved it. She was still one of the principal dancers at the company, and she was exceptional. But, I couldn't help reminiscing about my days as a professional dancer. I had worked almost my entire life for the opportunity and it was very short-lived.

I stood from my position on the floor as my first students entered the studio for their class. I smiled and greeted them. In the end, things worked out well for me. I loved my job as a yoga instructor.

Later in the afternoon, I had just finished my last class of the day and I was getting dressed in the gym's locker room, preparing to surprise Theo at his office for lunchtime.

It had been four months since my cousin's wedding in Greece and the night Theo and I were interrupted from our make-out session. We had spent the remainder of the night at the hospital while my cousin, Nico, got stitches for a stabbing wound perpetrated by Alex's longtime family friend, Virginia. When we had returned to the hotel, Theo asked if I'd join him in his room but I declined. At the time, I did not know what his intentions were, and I refused to become a cliche hookup story. I was not going to be another maid of honor who had a one night stand with the best man. However, Theo's interest in me continued, and we started to see each other once we returned from our trip.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror as I finished styling my hair in a crown braid. My long, flowy, backless maxi dress looked beautiful. I was hoping Theo would be impressed since it was the first time I was visiting him at his workplace.

I took a deep breath, grabbed my things, and walked out of the locker room.

Fifteen minutes later, I arrived at Theo's office in Studio City. I made my way up the elevator to the top floor, where Thompson and Wilkerson Law Group was located. Theo's father, Albert Thompson, was a partner at the entertainment law firm and Theo worked under him. I hoped I didn't bump into his father since I hadn't been properly introduced to him yet.

I straightened my spine as I entered through the glass doors, walked to the receptionist desk, and approached a young woman –dressed in a sharp suit.

She narrowed her eyes as she looked me up and down from behind the desk. "Can I help you?" she asked. "Are you lost?"

"Hello," I smiled at her. "I'm here to see Theo."

"Theo?"

"Yes, Theo Thompson," I clarified.

Her eyebrow arched as she stared at me. "You're here to see Mr. Theodore Thompson?" she questioned. "The Theodore Thompson."

"Umm," I cleared my throat. "Yes?"

"Do you have an appointment?"

I shook my head, biting my lip.

Did I need an appointment just to visit him for lunch?

"Very well," she huffed, handing me a clipboard with a sign-in sheet as she rolled her eyes. "Please sign in."

What was her problem?

"May I use your pen?" I asked her in my sweetest voice.

"Very well," she repeated, handing me a pen.

I signed in and handed her the clipboard and pen.

"You can have a seat," she clipped. "I'll let Mr. Thompson know you're waiting."

Geez, what great customer service skills.

I turned toward the waiting area and found a seat.

After waiting for forty minutes, I was beginning to get nervous. I listened to the jingling sound of my bangles as I bounced my leg, trying to calm my nerves.

What was taking so long? Had I made a mistake coming here? Was I not supposed to visit Theo at his workplace? We were technically dating. Right? Didn't couples visit each other at work?

I breathed a sigh of relief when the receptionist finally looked up and called my name. I quickly stood and approached her.

"I'm sorry Ms. Angelos, but Mr. Thompson has a very busy afternoon and is unable to see you," she claimed.

I stared at her, speechless.

"If you'd like, you can try to visit him tomorrow," she added.

"I'm sorry, did he say he couldn't see me?"

She nodded. "Yes, I just got off the phone with him. He cannot see you today."

"Right, thank you."

She smirked at me. "Of course, this is a very busy law firm. I'm not surprised he couldn't see you."

I decided not to waste any more of my energy on a response, so I turned my back on her and walked out of the doors.

As I waited for the elevator, I received a text message.

Teddy Bear: Hi gorgeous, I'm sorry I'm very busy right now. I'll catch up with you later.

I ignored the text as I entered the elevator and headed home. I decided he did not deserve a response either.