Chapter Fourteen: I'm Not Sure

Honk! Honk! Hoooonk!

I rushed to Athena's car before we were charged with a noise complaint for all her honking. I quickly opened the passenger door and got inside. "Athena, are you trying to have Andreas show up and give us a ticket for causing a disturbance?" I asked her, annoyed.

"Well, you said you were ready. I've been waiting for ten minutes," she huffed.

"I wanted to do a final touch-up on my lipstick and make sure I looked good."

"You always look good, Thalia. Are you having doubts? Do you still want to go?"

"If I don't go, I'll always wonder," I reluctantly admitted. What did Theo have to share with me? What did he want me to listen to that he couldn't share in his letters?

"Okay, let's do this." Athena blew out a breath, turned on her ignition, and drove us to the karaoke bar.

Twenty minutes later, we finally arrived at the bar and found a parking spot. As we exited the car, I noticed Theo pacing outside the door of the entrance.

I slowly approached him and caught his attention. "Theo, why aren't you inside?" I asked, confused.

"Thalia," he breathed. "You came."

I bit my lip and studied him. Why did he look so nervous? Wasn't this supposed to be just a happy hour with some co-workers?

"I wanted to meet you outside to give you a heads up," he explained, anxiously. "I've invited a few more people and I didn't want to catch you off guard. If you're not comfortable with it, I'll understand if you leave."

"What do you mean by a few more people?"

"Well," he mumbled, rubbing his neck. "I've invited my parents...and your brothers...and umm...your dad." He started to blush as he continued. "Alex, Nico and Nina are also here. But, I didn't invite them. They just showed up after they heard I had planned a surprise."

"What surprise, Theo? What is all this?" I was beginning to get unsettled. His nervousness was rubbing off on me.

"Thalia," Athena said from beside me. "Maybe we should just go inside and see what this is all about."

I looked at her, unsure of what to do. After a beat, I nodded and walked toward the door. When we made it inside, I noticed the place was packed.

Theo led us toward our families. As we approached his parents, he grabbed my hand and cleared his throat. "Mom, dad, I'd like you to meet Thalia. I should have introduced you to her a long time ago," he said to them.

Albert and Noelle smiled at me. Albert shook my hand, but Noelle gave me a big hug. "It's so nice to meet the woman who has stolen my son's heart," she whispered.

After accepting her friend request, Noelle had liked and commented on a few of my posts. But, I kept things cordial. She seemed very nice but I wasn't ready to start a relationship with her when I was no longer dating her son. As I watched the excitement on her face and the sincerity in her eyes, I smiled back at her. Maybe Theo shared more with her than I originally thought.

I grabbed a barstool as Theo ordered some drinks. While waiting for my drink, I glanced around the room and laughed at two clearly intoxicated women on the stage, attempting a Britney song. They looked like they were having so much fun. I was tempted to join them.

Athena was teasing Alex about singing a song with her when Theo handed me my drink and leaned in toward me. "I'll be right back, gorgeous," he whispered in my ear. I watched as he walked through the crowd, patted my dad's shoulder, and climbed up the stage.

Uh-oh! What was he doing?

Once the two women cleared the stage, Theo was introduced as the next singer. Timidly, he approached the microphone and spoke. "Hello everyone, I'd like to apologize in advance for my horrible singing skills," he chuckled and blushed as he continued. "I wanted to dedicate a song to the woman of my dreams. Thalia, you're the only one for me, and I'm sorry I did such a terrible job of showing you how much you mean to me. I hope you'll be willing to give me another chance to prove my love to you."

He paced the stage as the music started to play. Then, he raised the microphone to his mouth and started singing. "Wise men say only fools rush in. Oh, but I can't help falling in love with you..."

I watched Theo perform, open-mouthed and shocked. I never expected something like this from him. Theo was such a private person. How could he make himself so vulnerable? I giggled as Noelle, Athena and Nina cheered him on. The guys were hollering loudly, but Theo only had eyes for me as he sang.

"Take my hand. Take my whole life too. For I can't help falling in love with you. For I can't help falling in love with you." Theo finished singing, and nervously bowed to the crowd's cheers. Then, he quickly exited the stage and walked toward me.

Once he reached me, he grabbed my hand. "I hope that wasn't too embarrassing for you, sweetheart," he said, blushing again.

"No," I chuckled. "Was it too embarrassing for you?"

He shook his head. "No, baby. I'm willing to make a fool of myself for you." He paused and took a deep breath. "Do you think you can give me another chance, Thalia?"

I took my time to respond. Was I willing to try again with him? "I'm not sure," I admitted.

"What can I do to make you certain? Please sweetheart, I'll do anything."

"Well...it would have been much more impressive if you were also dressed as Elvis." I watched as hope began to fill his eyes and I chuckled.

He squeezed my hand. "For you, I'd do it," he replied, laughing.