4. 𝐖𝐚𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐌𝐲 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐭?

Inside the little room, the small child felt a familiar sense of fear and loneliness. Her innocent ears picked up the sound of a bottle shattering and the muffled voices of her parents, locked in another intense argument. She longed for a moment of peace, a respite from the chaos that seemed to surround her.

In her heart, she wished for love and understanding, yearning for a world where the voices outside her door were filled with laughter instead of anger.

The girl's father slurred his words, "I don't know why we ever even had a child!" He shouted with his voice thicked by the stench of alcohol, and his eyes were glassy with his drunkenness. The girl stood frozen, looking through the cracked door, tears streaming down her face whilst she watched her father stumble and sway around. She knew that this wasn't the first time he had said such hurtful things, but it still stung every time.

Her mother's tired voice was filled with frustration "I don't either! You think I wanted this?!" She shouted with a palpable whimper, it was made clear that the situation had taken a toll on her.

"SHUT THE FUCK UUUUUP! You are such a horrible woman, what was I thinking marrying you?!" Whilst her father's speech became slurred, chaos erupted in the living room with things breaking left and right. The little girl watched the scene unfold through the small crack in the door.

The woman challenged the man with a snarl, arms crossed, and a taunting expression. "Oh, what are you going to do? Hit me!?" She spat out, daring him to take a swing. 

"They're fighting again...." Tears threatened to spill from the little girl's eyes as she listened to her parents bickering. She knew they were talking about her, but interfering wouldn't do any good. Peeking through the crack of her door, she silently wished for peace between her parents.

Exhausted by the constant bickering and disregard from her parents, the young girl slipped away from her home, undetected. 

       ♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡︎•♡

She trudged to her elementary school with a heavy heart, feeling isolated and unwanted. Being an unpopular child. The school environment was unbearable, and the thought of spending another day there made her feel hopeless. The home wasn't any better either. So, with a heavy heart, she went on, with no one to talk to and no one to share her troubles with.

She is solace in the fact that she is talked about at home, even if it is in the midst of an argument. She feels that this is better than being an invisible bystander, silently watching everything unfold. Being recognized and acknowledged means that she has a place in the family, even if it is not a perfect one. It offers her some sense of belonging and helps her feel like she is not alone in the world.

She walked into the classroom, minding her own business as she placed her backpack in her designated cubby. Taking a seat at a table, she swung her feet back and forth, looking as bored as ever. 

"My mom said that we're going to get a cat real soon!" A girl bragged to her friends. She was the popular girl at school, she had everyone's attention; students and teachers alike were drawn to her. She had everything the lonely girl desired - friends, attention, and popularity. It was the life the lonely girl wished she had, and she couldn't help but envy the popular girl's lifestyle and social status. 

Feeling desperate and alone, she impulsively blurted out loud, "I have a pet cat of my own!" The room fell silent, and she felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment. Doubt crept in, and she questioned whether she should have said that.

Suddenly, her classmates swarmed around her, their eyes wide with curiosity and awe. Questions flew at her from all sides, each person eager to know more about her claim.