4: Exes And Oh's

"Harry," Catarina sang his name again. "So good to see you."

I stared speechlessly, in disbelief, from the doorway at the scene that met me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and yet I was.

Catarina, Harry's ex and the woman who left him for his brother, inexplicably stood before him. The same woman who had wanted him for his money and connections, who had no doubt participated in the schemes laid out this past summer, had the audacity to stand in his classroom and smile at him like they were old friends.

Were they?

My mind immediately jumped into high gear and my stomach toiled over in dread as I watched her move in and make the apparent gesture to hug Harry.

Were they still friends? Had they rekindled things these past few months? And if so, was that why he was truly here? Did she teach here as well, so he came here to be closer to her?

My theory was quickly squashed, however, just as quickly as it formed. Because as I watched Catarina move in and hug Harry, I saw how not even as much as a single muscle moved in his body. He stayed perfectly still and allowed his ex to grant him an awkward one-sided hug, one which she didn't appear to be the least bit deterred by. In fact, she even popped a tender kiss to his cheek, before slowly moving back with a cat-like smirk.

Oh. This bitch had some nerves.

"It's been too long," She voiced, smiling affectionately at Harry, who didn't return her sentiments.

"Not long enough," He replied in a surprisingly calm voice. But I could sense the tension brewing beneath the surface. "What brings you to my classroom today, Catarina?"

Catarina chuckled unfazed, and from what I could tell from my hideout at the door, took a casual seat on his desk, crossing her perfectly sculpted legs.

"I see you're still doing this," She said, gesturing down to the many notes on his table. "Cracked any new mathematical riddles lately?"

"None that you'll ever take credit in again."

Catarina merely smiled at his chilled replies, before sighing. "You know, I never thought I'd live to see the day," She then remarked, quirking a brow. "And yet here we are; Harry Devon, teaching."

Harry's jaw tightened visibly, even from where I was standing. "A man is allowed to change his mind."

"You never did for me," Catarina replied without missing a beat. "She must've been something truly special. For you to change your mind because of her."

My eyes widened briefly at Catarina's words and my breath froze. He had changed his mind because of... me?

Her statement confused me, but I stayed silent to listen for Harry's response. I wasn't surprised when nothing came.

"I hear she's in your class," Catarina therefore continued, while Harry began to pack up his stuff, stuffing papers into his suitcase. "Part of the transfers from Mississauga, yes? Is it true?"

"It is."

"My, my. That must be interesting." Catarina noted with a slight chuckle. "Perhaps I should meet her?"

You already did. You were just too pompous to notice me.

"I doubt you'd have anything to talk about," Harry flatly replied.

"Oh, I beg to differ," Catarina leaned in, placing an intimate hand on his shoulder. A little smirk lifted on her lips. "I bet we would have loads to talk about."