10: Photograph

Finally, after a long week since the gala, my birthday weekend had arrived.

I had booked my ticket in advance and packed my bags the night before, making sure I had everything I needed for a spa weekend. After all the mess and stress of the past month, and especially so after what went down at the gala, this spa couldn't have come at a better time. I rarely praised my mother for this, but for once, she had gotten the right idea.

I was absolutely exhausted trying to figure out just what Harry was up to. I still didn't know why he was here, and I still didn't know why he was so cold to me in the beginning. Recently though, it was as if he had been coming back, seeking out my presence, first in the library, then at the party. He sought me out, but then any time I began to playfully flirt or brought up the past, he closed down and shut me out. Left.

It was like getting pulled back and forth in a rubber-band-like tension, and I was sick of feeling the snap on my wrist every time. Sick of my feelings being played, sick of trying to just... breathe around him.

So this break was badly needed, to get away for a weekend and just breathe in some fresh air.

In spite my early packing and planning though, I had still somehow managed to miss the first bus to the station, having had to lug my trunk behind me all the way from campus. I was now standing on the pavement with my luggage, waiting for the second bus to take me to the train station, when my phone suddenly rang.

Fishing it out of my jacket pocket, I saw my mother's name across the screen. Immediately, I pressed answer and lifted it to my ear. "I know, I'm sorry Mom, I'm running a little late, but—"

"Actually, dear," My Mom's happy voice cut me off, and I was immediately taken aback; when she was happy, that meant only one thing... "I'm calling to tell you... oh, I'm so sorry, but I have to cancel our plans this weekend, honey."

"You... what?" I said with a small voice. This wasn't happening. Please, no. I stared at the road in front of me, feeling my chest begin to tighten. "Why?"

"Oh, you'll never guess! Remember that UPS delivery guy I told you about a while back? The one who always smile at me when he brings me my packages? Well, he's just asked me out to a concert! Me! Tonight! Isn't that so nice of him?"

"You're... canceling on my birthday... to go on a date with a guy you barely know?" I woodenly asked, but I didn't even know why I was surprised. I should've been so used to this by now. And still, my throat closed up with pins and needles as tears pressed in the corners of my eyes.

"Honey, it's a concert! I wouldn't dream of canceling if it wasn't because he spent a lot of money on this! It's a three hour drive to the venue, and since it's so late, we're going to spend the night at a hotel. You understand, right? Listen, we can celebrate your birthday next week! Or some other time, you know. But I can't miss this concert, darling. You know, he might be the one."

The one. Of course, just like the million other ones she had dated for a few months, before having a breakdown and scaring them off. Maybe this guy would last more than just a few months, but did that make it any less painful right now?

"Right," I whispered, swallowing down the lump in my throat. I was too tired to even argue this. Didn't even know if I cared to even... care. "I understand..."

"Oh, I knew you would. You always do, Cassy. I love you so much, you know that? My bright, sweet girl."

I ignored the tear running down my cheek and instead took a seat on the curb of the street. "Yeah... Have fun at the concert, Mom. I'll call you later, alright?"