Chapter 27

MARILYN HARRISON

"And I am her fucking fiance!"

I could feel Luca's body going still in front of me while Ridge was glaring at me like I was some plague that he couldn't get rid of no matter what.

Luca's entire build slowly turns towards me and I don't even have the guts in me to look him in his eyes. "Marilyn, what is he talking about?" Luca's careful voice finally came but I didn't have any answer for his question.

"What? You didn't know that she was engaged to someone for six years now, Mr.Bestfriend?"
Ridge's mocking tone was not doing any help but Luca didn't even turn his eyes towards him. He was solely focused on me waiting for an answer, "or maybe you weren't important enough for her to mention that."

I glared at Ridge and let out the words with gritted teeth, "Shut up."

"Marilyn," one word and my focus was back on my best friend who was looking at me with eyes that screamed betrayal. "Is it true?"

I stepped closer to grab his arms "Luca let me explain—" but before I could finish he took two steps backwards letting my hands fall from his arms.

"Yes or no, just one word, Marilyn," Luca said as his voice lowered by the edge. I let all the scenarios play out in my head if I say no right now. I will be lying to my best friend yet again and it will also make the only good memories of my past feel like a lie. The memories which are the sole reason I am still sane.

And if I tell the truth Luca will leave even before I can explain the whole thing. But even if he let me will I be able to tell him everything? No, you can't.

Closing my eyes and taking a deep breath I let the word out. "yes."

'Yes, it is true but I can explain.' That's what I planned to tell him but by the moment my eyes were open he was already out of the office. And as I stepped out to follow him, a hand on my arm stopped me. Ridge.

I could feel my entire body fuming with rage as I turned towards him pulling my hand away from his grip, "What is wrong with you? Why would you say that? Why? Why!" A scream came out of me even though I wasn't intending to lose control. But this is not how I wanted things to turn out.

"I just stated the truth that you were trying too hard to hide." His eyes darkened with anger but unlike me, he wasn't yelling. "You were my fiance six years ago as you said yes to marry me and you are still my fiance." With every word, he took a step closer caging me between his body and my desk. My hands fell on his chest to make some space between us but he didn't move a little.

Finally, my eyes met his as I let out my words, "I am not your.fucking.fiance, damn it."

"You are, Marilyn Harrison. You.fucking.are." His hand grabbed my back neck bringing our faces close enough for me to feel his breath.

I shook my head shutting my eyes close cause I would rather die than shed my tears in front of him or anyone else. I am not weak. Not anymore.

"There is no 'we' Ridge. And there won't be any. We ended six years ago when I left your cottage."

"Then why come for me? Why do all this plotting? What do you really want from me?" His voice softens with each word as his hand slowly falls from my neck as well. His eyes were filled with pain, pain that I had intentionally inflicted on him just for my own selfish reasons.

And at that moment I realised how big of a mistake I made by bringing Ridge back into my life. He'll never let me go. No matter how much I hurt him. And even if he physically did his heart will never.