Chapter 16

Arnav

As she spoke, I stood at the top of the stairs, staring at her. She is nervous. Especially scared. She thinks that no one will believe her... But I know they will. Di and Nani, in particular... Because they know me. They are well aware of what I am capable of and what I will do for my family... So, don't worry. Khushi, they will believe you. They definitely will.

"But... Chote said he loves you. How could he...?" Di didn't finish as she sat down with shock lacing her face.

Khushi's eyes glistened with tears as she glanced up at me. She didn't want to do it, but she is. Because she thinks it is better for her to leave me... than to forgive me.

How badly did I hurt her that she's willing to leave me and hurt herself in the process instead of forgiving me... I had no idea that my words had cut her this deeply. That my actions had forced her to do this.

But she was right... I was never there for her when she needed me. I had literally left her to face all of this hatred on her own. And she accepted everything without saying a single word.

I gulped hard as guilt and heartbreak wrapped around my chest and throat. I should not have done anything at all. I really shouldn't have...

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye! What is with you, Phati Saree? You are constantly blaming others for your mistakes. You accused Damad Ji first, and now you're accusing our Arnav Bitwa... Why can't you control your own character?" Mami spoke as Khushi stared at her in disbelief, her lips trembling.

How dare she? How dare she talk to her like that? I started getting down the stairs to confront her. How dare she talk to my wife like that? She didn't have any...

"Don't you dare talk about our daughter like that." Bua Ji spoke out before gently pulling Khushi behind her and stepping in front of her, as if she wasn't going to let anything harm Khushi.

I took another step down the steps and stood next to the stairs, leaning against the wall.

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye! Everything I've said is correct. Everything has gone wrong since she stepped foot in this house." Mami responded after a brief pause.

"She didn't do anything. It's all Arnav Babua's doing." Bua Ji spoke up, raising her voice. "Where is he? Why is he not here?" She looked around and came to a halt when her gaze landed on me. I straightened up as she looked at me with rage in her eyes.

She made her way towards me, but Khushi stopped her by gripping her hand. Bua Ji turned to face her, but all she did was shake her head and say nothing.

I looked down at my feet before looking up to see Khushi staring at me just before turning to face everyone and taking a step forward.

"I just wanted to let you all know the truth before I left." She spoke slowly.

"Khushi Bitiya..." Nani began but was cut off by Mami.

"Hello-hi-bye-bye, Phati Saree! If you really want to leave, why not divorce Arnav Bitwa first? You know, for properties and everything?"

"Manorama! Shut your mouth!" Nani replied while standing up and glaring at her.

I looked at Mami, stunned... How can she say that? How could she... I turned to face Khushi and locked my gaze on her. Is she considering it? Does she really want to end everything between us without giving me another chance?

"You..." Bua Ji began to speak as her eyes widened at Mami's remarks, but she eventually came to a stop as Khushi touched her on the hand.

Khushi looked down at the ground for a moment before turning to Mami and saying, "You don't have to worry about your property or money, Mami ji." While gazing at me, she paused and sadly smiled through her tears. "Only a family member has a right to those things. And I'm everything but that." She returned her eyes to Mami. "I can't become Arnav Ji's wife just because I'm wearing sindoor and mangalsutra... right?..." She paused. "Since, we are not really married."