Chapter 17

The Hymn of the Whole surged through Aerzen. Countless townsfolk marched toward the source of the song. Merchants abandoned stalls filled with their wares, and guardsmen left their posts without a backward glance. Parents hoisted children into their arms lest they trail behind the rest of the crowd, and babies reached toward the music as if they could grasp it in their tiny fingers.

William quivered with the urge to follow them, to leave the alleyway and abandon his quest. There was no point resisting, the song whispered in his ear. Not when a lifetime of peace and contentment were within his grasp.

No. This wasn't why he'd come here. This wasn't what he wanted.

But he'd be free from his father, the song promised as its notes built into something larger than themselves. Something greater. He'd never have to worry about sneaking through his own home as if he was an intruder, never feel the burning tear of the belt buckle sinking into his flesh.

Would giving in really be so bad? Nettle cared for Emma as the other rats did for their children. Just as they would care for William if he only let them—

CRACK!

William cried out as Thomas's slap sent him sprawling across the ground. Thin-fingered hands clamped around his throat.

"Don't you dare follow them," Thomas hissed. His hands tightened their grip until black spots danced in William's vision. "I did not risk my life so you could betray me to the rats."

"Sorry," William wheezed. Burning. Everything was burning as he clawed at the fingers pressing against his throat. "I can't—"

The pressure stopped. Air rushed into William's lungs as he lay gasping, each breath filled with searing relief.

Thomas offered him his hand and eased him into a sitting position. "Couldn't risk you making me go with them," he said softly.

"It's alright," William said between gasps. "I would have done the same thing."

They sat in silence while they caught their breath. The rest of Aerzen continued their single-minded march toward the source of the song, with not a single person glancing toward their alleyway. The Hymn of the Whole teased at the edges of William's soul, its quickening tempo threatening to unspool his essence and shape him into someone else. Something else.

He'd almost let it.

"Thank you for saving me," he said. "Again."

Thomas cracked a small smile. "Think nothing of it. People like us have to look out for each other." His smile faltered, his eyes darting to the townsfolk leaving the market in search of the Hymn. "They won't notice if you leave now. You should go home."

Because he still had one. That thought stung William's eyes worse than the last wisps of smoke escaping the forge. "I can't leave yet. I still have to learn everything I can about the Piper so I can save my sister."

Thomas looked at him as if he'd proposed tilling the fields with his bare hands. "Please tell me you're not planning what I think you are."

"I need to get closer to the Piper so I can see how his song works," William said. "It's the only way I can save Emma."

"Why did I know you would say that?" Thomas heaved a heavy sigh. "I'm going with you."

"You don't have to—"

"Yes I do. Nobody else can make sure you don't lose yourself." Thomas's voice cracked as he looked away. "He has my family, too."

"I'll find a way to free them. I promise."