Chapter 21

A barrage of befuddling smells welcomed William into Dr. Hughes's practice. Dried herbs hung above rows of glass jars filled with all manner of ointments and tinctures. A mortar and pestle still bore the crushed remains of the latest remedy he'd mixed together, and a leather-bound journal documented his labor in messy handwriting William doubted he could decipher even if he could read more than the Book of the Lord.

Amidst all the remedies, Dr. Hughes sat polishing a glass jar. "Come in, dear boy! I promise I shan't keep you long."

William sank into the chair across from him, crossing his arms to keep his hands from shaking. Why had he agreed to this? Father would have his hide for encouraging the doctor to speak to him, let alone agreeing to talk to him alone.

If it weren't for the rats, he'd run to the forge, leaving the doctor and his tendency to ask uncomfortable questions behind. Alas, that was not an option. Not when Dr. Hughes was the only other person in all of Hamelin who thought something was wrong with the children.

Dr. Hughes set aside the jar he'd been cleaning and rummaged around his workspace until he pulled out one of many journals. "Thank you for agreeing to visit me today. I imagine it can't be easy to step away from your duties at the forge."

"I'm sure Father will manage fine without me for a little while." Although he would surely show his displeasure once William returned to work. His back throbbed with the memory of the last time he'd incurred his father's wrath.

"Be that as it may, I still appreciate you coming." Dr. Hughes selected one of the many quills resting on the table and tested it on the journal. Finding the ink flowed satisfactorily, he nodded and returned his gaze to William, setting his lips in a firm line. "I'm sure you're aware that the parents I've spoken to have been alarmed by your recent behavior. After what happened with Peter, many of them are concerned you might pose a danger to the children."

"I know," William said softly. Though he'd acted in self-defense, the feeling of his elbow sinking into Peter's flesh haunted his nightmares as surely as the children pinning him to the ground.

"In my experience, things are seldom as they initially appear to be, especially from an outside perspective." Dr. Hughes tapped his quill against the page. "Now, tell me what led you to lash out at Peter like that. You've always been a gentle lad, so I suspect you didn't do so for no reason."

William told him how the children had attacked him and pinned him to the ground, forcing him to fight to escape and strike Peter to prevent him from hurting him again. He didn't say a word about the rats or the Hymn of the Whole—he couldn't unless he wanted to be hauled off to the nearest asylum—but he told him every other detail about what had happened.

"So something about the song you were playing upset them?" Dr. Hughes jotted down a note. "Children can be blunt when they don't enjoy something. Lord knows I certainly wasn't shy about not wanting to join my father in his workshop when I was your sister's age. But to react so strongly..." He fidgeted with his quill, running his fingers up and down the dark gray plumage. "Are you sure nothing else might have startled them? An errant animal, perhaps?"

"I know it's hard to believe, but I swear on the Lord's name that I'm telling the truth." Just not all of it.

"May I please see where the children harmed you? Regardless of how they happened, I would be remiss not to care for any injuries you may have."

William rolled up his sleeves and removed his boots. Crescent-shaped indentations marred his skin where the children's nails had sunk into him, and lingering purple bruises betrayed the ferocity of their attack.