Chapter 22

William left Dr. Hughes's practice with his injuries eased but his mind burdened tenfold. Though the ointment soothed his aching muscles, the realization that he would be willing to consider abandoning Mother and Emma to face Father's wrath alone, if only for a moment, made guilt strike his heart with all the force of his father hammering iron into shape. What kind of pitiful, traitorous son and brother was he to entertain such a horrible thought?

Come what may, he would stay in Hamelin. Though Father could break his body and perhaps his spirit, William would never allow harm to come to Mother or Emma by his hand or any other. This he swore upon the name of the Lord, ending his oath with a renewed declaration of his resolve to defeat the Piper. Though only the Lord himself could determine when they would be free of Father, the Piper was a threat he and Burdock could defeat on their own.

At least, so he hoped.

The rhythmic ringing of Father's hammer striking the anvil welcomed William to the forge. Father didn't spare him a glance as he paused, thrust a long rod of metal into coals glowing orange with heat, and renewed his hammering. "Kind of you to join me today." Clang! "I was beginning to think you wouldn't show your face." Clang! "Now that you're here, you might as well mind the bellows. The flames are getting low."

"Yes, sir." William donned a thick leather apron, smoothing out the creases before taking hold of the bellows. The worn wooden handles fit snugly in his hands as he fought to keep his breathing as slow and steady as the air the bellows blew onto the coals. Father couldn't possibly be pleased with him, not after he'd dared to speak to Dr. Hughes alone. It was only a matter of time before his temper flared like the flames rising to devour yet another lump of coal.

What punishment would Father have in store for him? Would he make him shovel coal until his shoulders screamed with every movement? Would he send him to the stables to muck out the stall of the ox they rented whenever they had to cart supplies across town, deeming him too useless to work alongside anyone save beasts of burden?

Perhaps he'd wait until the day's work was complete, coaxing William into lowering his guard until he took him out by the Tantalus and lashed his back until he couldn't scream anymore.

WHOOSH!

A blast of air from the bellows shot a smoldering lump of coal out of the fireplace. William yelped as the glowing orange missile whizzed past his apron, coming to rest beside his father's foot.

"I'm so sorry!" William rushed to douse the errant coal in the bucket of water Father normally used to cool metal once he'd finished working it. He exchanged the bellows for a pair of tongs so quickly he scarcely had time to blink, dropping the coal into the water with a sputtering fizz. Lord above, he hadn't made such a foolish mistake since he'd been newly apprenticed. "I-i-it won't happen again, I swear! I'll go pump a fresh bucket and—"

Father held up his hand. William snapped his mouth shut, forcing himself to look him in the eye. Maybe if he faced his punishment unflinchingly Father would go easy on him this time.

"It was an accident eh, boy?" Father set his hammer aside as effortlessly as if it weighed as little as a nail.

"Y-y-yes, of course. I would never make such a foolish mistake on pur—"

"Enough."

William swallowed. Nodded.

"Not hurt, are you?"

William shook his head.

"Good. Accidents happen to the best of us, don't they?" Father clapped William on the back. "Nothing to fuss over. Fetch me fresh water from the well, and we'll get back to work."