Chapter 25

William trudged home with his thoughts weighing on him as heavily as his guitar. A few angry notes had been enough to turn the Hymn of the Whole's gentle guidance into a terrifying weapon. He hadn't meant to channel his anger into the song, but his fury over Mother getting hurt had roared to a crescendo until he had no choice but to let it out.

Was this how Father felt whenever he flew into a rage? Or was his anger more carefully honed? For all the pain he'd caused, Father had never hurt anyone on accident. One moment of carelessness had been enough for William to force Burdock into a frenzy, to say nothing of the poor bird that had been reduced to a mass of bloody feathers.

He could never allow himself to lose control like that again. Though none would miss the bird Burdock had mauled, the consequences would be far more dire if he attacked a person or, worse, if William accidentally influenced a human. He'd already made Mother call upon Dr. Hughes when she knew as well as he did that the doctor's presence always angered Father. What else might happen if he allowed his anger to control not only himself but also those around him?

As he drew closer to home, William realized he might have done so already.

Before he set foot inside the house, William already heard the sharpness of Father's voice cutting the air, answered by Emma's unmistakable high-pitched protest. A protest that was growing louder by the second.

Quieting his breathing until each exhale whispered past his lips, he slipped inside and eased the door shut behind him. His muscles tensed in anticipation of a sharp rebuke from Father, but for once, he didn't so much as glance at him. No one did.

They were too busy engaging in a heated discussion around the fireplace.

"All I'm asking is for you to start the fire." Father thrust a fistful of kindling onto the waiting logs as if he could ignite the blaze with nothing but his temper. "You've done it countless times before, yet now you can't be bothered?"

"I don't want to burn my fingers!" Emma held up her hands as if she was afraid they'd burst into flames at any moment.

"You won't as long as you do it properly," Father said, his stony gaze unwavering.

"I don't know how." Emma sniffled as a telltale whine crept into her voice. If Father kept pressuring her, she was bound to cry.

William longed to comfort her, to hold her in a hug and tell her he'd take care of everything. But he couldn't. Drawing attention to himself would only fan the flames of Father's anger.

Mother knelt beside Emma. "I can show you how to do it, sweetie."

"Don't enable her," Father said sharply. "She knows full well what she needs to do."

"She was gone a whole year, Philip," Mother said. "It wouldn't surprise me if she's forgotten."

Father curled his hands into fists at his sides, making William's stomach quiver as he silently prayed for the Lord to keep Emma and his mother safe. "Do not take her side over mine. Coddling the children like this is how William grew into such a disappointment. We must teach Emma to be obedient lest she turn out like him."

He took a step toward Emma.

"Wait!" William rushed forward, any thoughts of avoiding Father's notice abandoned. "Let me help her."

"Look who finally decided to come home." Father turned to face him with cold fury burning in his eyes. "Not so sick now, are you? Funny how you felt well enough to get out of bed the instant I went to the forge. No wonder Emma has turned into such a disobedient brat with you setting such a poor example for her."