3. Investigation

^ that panel of barou does something to me every time i see it

——

Had (Y/N) grown up with anyone else, she might have thought it strange how her father knew everything about pretty much everyone. But considering she was raised by him and him alone, she assumed that every parent knew the same he did. So she didn't think to question why he was so knowledgeable about so many teen boys.

Though she didn't question it, she did bring it up a few times. One of those times happened to be when Anri visited the Jinpachi home to discuss things further with Ego. (Y/N) had said, "Wow, 'Pops. You've got a lot of info on a lot of little boys." Anri had promptly choked on her drink.

Anyhow, as the days went on, the teen became more and more curious as to what exactly her father was doing. But, much to her disappointment, he refused to share any major details with her. 

So, she decided, if her father wasn't going to tell her anything, she would find out for herself.

——

(Y/N) could hear her heartbeat in her ears as she got up from her bed. She snuck over to her bedroom door and opened it as quietly as she could, cringing when it creaked.

She slipped outside into the hallway, tiptoeing past her father's door. She paused, listening for the snoring she had become so accustomed to.

When she heard that it was safe, she sped down the hallway and down the stairs into her father's makeshift office.

Her eyes scanned around the room searching for the familiar sight of Ego's black laptop. She caught sight of it tucked away behind a pile of folders. Her eyes narrowed behind her bangs.

She gently picked up one of the parchments. '"Potential Players"? Huh, I'll have to look at this again later.' Setting it down, she grabbed the device and opened it, quickly typing in his passcode. She huffed out a laugh, 'Really, 'Pops?' She found it silly that, despite all the years that had gone by, he still kept his passcode as her birthday. 'What an unexpectedly sentimental man.'

A blast of light hit her face amidst the darkness, causing her to yelp in surprise. Her eyes widened comically, 'Shit!' She thought worriedly, darting her eyes to the stairs. She was quiet, listening for any movement, before returning back to the device at hand.

(Y/N) searched through his folders for any keywords that might tell her what she should be looking for. She frowned, giving up hope. 'Damnit. Old man probably knew I was gonna go through his stuff.' Her eyes then landed on a folder with a name that stood out from the rest. On second thought...'

She clicked on the folder labeled Blue Lock, her grinning in satisfaction at the find. Inside were about 800 different documents, slides, links, videos, photos, and statistics—all of which were football related. She hummed gleefully at the sight.

Carefully going through the file, she clicked on different items to see what they had to say. This didn't catch her interest for long, though. Eventually, she got bored, yawning tiredly. 'This is boring. How does 'Pops find this interesting at all?'

She stood up and placed the laptop back where it had been originally, before her eyes landed on the large files that she had seen from earlier. She bit her lip. ''He'll definitely know I went through the stuff if I move them,' she thought mournfully.