9. A Sweet Gesture (Holiday Special)

(A/N: Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Yule, Kwanzaa, Bodhi Day, Chinese New Year, and more (or none at all, if that's how you roll)! This chapter, though deviating from the main timeline where she's 17, is still important to the story. It'll reconnect to things later on in the book!)

——

Christmas. A holiday that continuously brings joy to people around the globe. And, though, of course, despite those who don't necessarily celebrate the occasion, in one way or another, everyone can appreciate the season's givings. And, why wouldn't they? With the holidays, presents are exchanged, families from all around get together to enjoy quality time, and, of course, we can't forget the 40 annual Hallmark movies produced each year.

Oh, and one last thing that really makes everything all the more special. The snow.

A little girl stood idly by her window, her small hands pressed against the cool glass. The world outside had been transformed into a serene landscape blanketed in white. Her eyes, wide with curiosity, observed the delicate flakes as they gracefully descended from the sky, each one a tiny masterpiece in its own right.

With a thoughtful expression, (Y/N) traced the patterns that the snowflakes painted on the window. The silence outside seemed to seep into the room, and she reveled in the tranquility. The snow-covered houses and trees stood still, as if frozen in time.

Her father, noticing her quiet fascination, approached her with a softened look. "What do you think?" He asked, squatting beside her. (Y/N), still fixated on the snow, replied softly, "It's like the wor'ld is wearing a cozy white blanket. Everyfing looks so calm and purr-itty."

Together, they continued to watch the snowfall, a shared moment of quiet admiration for the beauty of nature. (Y/N)'s small hands lingered on the window, feeling the chill seep through the glass. The elegance of the snowfall captivated her, and for that moment, the outside world became a captivating canvas of wonder for the young girl.

Ego's gaze landed on her small figure, watching as her eyes lit up in fascination and longing. Unbeknownst to the young girl, he walked off without another word.

He came back mere moments later with two thick jackets. One black, and one (childhood favorite color). He set the items down near where the two family members had been sitting before, finally catching the attention of (Y/N). Surprised, she inspected the articles curiously. "What are you doing, pap?"

Faintly, the crows feet by Ego's eyes wrinkled with a half grin. He gingerly helped her put on her coat and tied her boots. A soft scent of (favorite smell) appeared, and the girl's large eyes widened. Ego was raising up two pairs of matching mittens and beanies. "Getting us ready to go in the snow."

Eager to experience the beautiful snow-covered yard firsthand, (Y/N) dashed out the door as soon as she was covered head to toe in thick clothing. Ego had even warmed up some heating pads and placed them in between layers of her clothes so that she wouldn't freeze.

It kind of made her look like a circle, with how thickly she was protected from the cold. He huffed out a small laugh when she tumbled from the weight.

As they stepped outside, crisp air greeted them, and a gentle hush enveloped the neighborhood, with the exception of a few excited cheers from fellow children. The row of houses the young girl had become so familiar of were now transformed into a winter wonderland. She giggled as the fresh snow crunched beneath her boots.

Their footsteps left imprints on the once untouched canvas, and (Y/N) couldn't help but be amazed by the soft crunching sound that echoed in the quietness. She reached out a hand, allowing snowflakes to land gently on her covered palm before melting away.