Chapter 10 - He Had Flown Too High

Azriel had stayed in Autumn after crashing to the mossy forest floor outside of Elain's sprawling mansion. Skulking in the leafy crimson forest outside the estate, he had determined to remain until he gathered as much information as possible.

But first, the Spymaster decided he would make another uninvited visit to the ruthless heir of Autumn.

Azriel ambushed Eris as the fool was hunting alone in the Forest of Kïngoak following his encounter with the monk on the road to Zhizin.

With only a silent rustle of deadened leaves for warning, Azriel was upon the male, Truth Teller at Eris' ivory neck just as the heir had sighted a featherhorn arrow to his bow, his amber eye focused on an unaware mossrabbit chewing a leafy strand of shepherds purse across the glade.

But as usual, Eris was unable to admit even the slightest defeat, chuckling gently as Azriel's shadows smoked up his thin legs and arms, disarming the weapons from the heir and heaping them unceremoniously behind Azriel's lurching wings in the long grass.

He grinned. Apparently amused.

"Shadowsinger."

Eris stated the title, breathing slowly as Azriel hissed, snarling into his ear, his hot morning breath powering over the two of them.

"Good gods. Swig some coffee or fucking whiskey before you go assaulting people in the morning." He waved away Azriel's scent as the Shadowsinger glared harder, tugging Eris' neck closer to the blade.

He was still unperturbed. "I see you've visited her estate. And perhaps, judging by the viscous hunger of your shadows... you may have made a stop at the Zhizin temple as well."

Azriel grazed Truth Teller against Eris' skin before sinking his hand into the back of his short hair, wrenching the prince in front of him, causing him to stumble forward before he caught his balance with a hand on his knee. He righted himself, standing up and adjusting his golden collar and brushing off the tops of his shoulders with obvious irritation as Azriel rolled his eyes, his shadows still swirling and smoking along the ground.

Eris ran his long fingers through his red hair, dragging the strands from his forehead as he narrowed his eyes, a cocky grin jutting out before he reached down, pulling a pack of smoking sticks from his pocket.

He raised a brow, offering one to Azriel, who ignored the offering of goodwill, merely stepping forward with dark eyes, his wings expanding and shadowing over the princeling as he felt his siphons begin to blaze. Eris rolled his eyes, chuckling as he returned the smoking sticks to his pocket, flaring a small flame over the end of his with a snap of his fingers. He dragged a long breath on the stick before turning his face to Azriel, an irritated expression cresting his forehead.

"Well what are you waiting for? An apology? Go tattle to your High Lord about what Autumn has been up to with their females. Start another godsdamned war for all I care."

Azriel narrowed his eyes as Eris shielded his eyes, searching back into the depths of the forest before taking another drag of his stick and glancing at Azriel.

"Isn't that what you lot do best? Initiate genocidal wars over the honor of females?" Eris took another drag before stepping toward the forest, muttering under his breath. "And fuck you by the way. That hare was destined to be my lunch."

"Why."

Azriel spoke finally, his single word a low and winding spellbound magic cast into the meadow, drawing Eris' curious eyes up to the Shadowsinger.

"So the creepy shadowmale does speak. Why? Well, I don't like to join the family for every damn meal in the–"

"No." Azriel rolled his shoulders back, cracking his neck as he stepped forward. This damn prick was so condescendingly unserious.