Chapter 4 Jacquelyn

I haven't been here long but I believe I have a good understanding of who lives here. It's the land of senior citizens which I find adorable. No young people to get on your nerves, here you become the favorite because you can fix the TV by hitting the remote. Now in front of me sits a guy who looks to be my match.

I have to admit, when he walked in here I had to take a double take. He walks in all prince charming-like and here I am with a mouth full of food looking like a slob. There goes my chance at a date, sorry Stacy.

He doesn't seem too interesting anyway. Very unfriendly and grumpy, totally not my type. I don't care how hot he is. I do have to find out, how in the world did he get here.

After a few minutes, he finished eating. That's when my interrogation started.

"She wants to know why you're here?"

"Oh, of course. Well you see, I was on a bus on my way to the house I rented for a month but I was just so tired from the flight and shopping that I fell asleep and I ended up here. The driver said he wasn't taking anyone back into town. I still don't understand why but yeah...I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll try calling a taxi tomorrow or something."

He scoffed.

"What?"

"Taxis don't come over here."

"Are you serious? Well...what about another bus? Maybe he was just mistaken, his English wasn't that good and neither was my Japanese. It's easy for us to get mixed up."

"No, he was right. The bus only comes down here for one of the residents because her son pays for her ticket so she can come to the city to see him and her grandchildren."

"Oh, okay, so when is she going again?"

"Last I heard, I think in about three months."

"THREE MONTHS! No...oh no no no no no! I can request a ride just like she can right? I'll pay double, triple even. At this point I don't even care if I stay at the house I rented, I just can't miss my flight back home."

"Sorry, he only comes down here for her. It's a long trip and expensive to drive down here in the first place."

"Oh my god", I said as I sunk down into the floor, hopefully evaporating like a puddle.

The old lady was talking to him, probably asking what I was saying. He was speaking to her back for a while. Her expression went from surprised to sad to even laughing at one point. He better be telling her exactly what I said and not painting me like the village idiot. It's an easy mistake anybody can make.

"She said you can stay with her for as long as you like until you can find a way out of here."

"Oh no, I can't do that. I already took up space and ate her food."

"It's rude to decline her offer. Besides, she doesn't get many visitors, especially foreign ones. In return, you can help her out on the farm."

"Oh, of course! I'll do whatever she needs. Just tell her though that I'm not farm material. I mean, yeah I'm from Texas but Houston, I'm as city as a city girl can be."

He translated what I said to her. She nodded and smiled at me. I gave a small bow to her.

"Hey wait. You must leave the village often. You can give me a ride out of here?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

He stood up.

"I'm busy."

"So you're going to be busy this entire month."

"Yeah."

"Oh come on, that's a lie", I said following him out the door.

"I don't go into the city."

"Why not, you fit right in. You're not a country boy I can tell you that."

"How do you know?"

"Because I know, now help a girl out, okay? Please."

I forced myself in front of him, stopping him in his tracks.

"I said no. You got yourself into this mess by yourself, you can figure a way out by yourself."

I gave him a look and then let out a huff.

"Fine, whatever. I don't need you!"

I turned away.

"Jerk", I said under my breath.

What's his problem? Got too much mochi stuck up his butt or something? He's officially the ugliest man I've ever met. I don't want to see his ugly face ever again.

I've learned that not seeing him is unavoidable. This village is tiny and he's the only muscle power here.

Well, I just have to suck it up I guess. I'm a survivor, I got it. Just like he said, I got myself into this, I can get out just fine with no help. 

~

I have no one to talk to. No signal on my phone, no way to contact Stacy. I can't talk to granny since well, for obvious reasons. I might as well go to sleep now since it's nighttime. I had a long and stressful day of getting lost. The reality that I'm actually lost is really setting in. I still can't believe this is happening. Maybe I wasn't meant to fly out here, this must be a sign. Why the universe is punishing me, I don't know. I mean, I'm a good person, I never committed a crime, I always ate my veggies growing up so, why me? 

Well, it could be much worse. At least I didn't get lost somewhere that there aren't any people though sometimes that isn't always a good thing. What about that guy then ended up where Canibles lived, never found him. I guess I rather die in a jungle alone than get eaten by people. But then again, my body wouldn't be found either way. 

"Oh gosh, I need to sleep", I said to myself. 

My dark thoughts need to go somewhere else, I don't have time for that. I need to strategize and find a way out of here. I mean, how long would it take for me to walk back to the city? A few days maybe? I know I'm not the fittest person but if you take your time and pace yourself, you can get anywhere, right? 

Yeah, that's a plan. I just gotta find some good walking shoes and then I'm home free, plus I'll lose a few pounds. 

It'll be a win-win for me.