THREE

THREE

Jess couldn’t face heading back in to the hubbub to find Evelyn; the night was over for her. And what a night. She’d had the shock of her life, and the humiliation and shame of the evenings’ revelation would mean she’d not set foot into the ballroom again. She was desperate for fresh air. So she made her way out into the street and hailed a cab, ignoring the voice that said ‘coward’.

In the back seat she finally relaxed, finally breathed again. Finding her phone, she sent Eve a quick very apologetic text promising her all the news the following day; she needed the night to recover. As the phone assured her the message was sent, she slumped into her seat. But when she closed her eyes all she could see was Alex, he’d been a cute boy, funny, caring and all lanky arms and legs, what a difference to the tall, broad man who’d carried her out of the ballroom. He was sculpted, athletic and oozed charisma, and she knew that everyone in the room had been aware of his presence.  How could they not be?

How had her teen protector from the wrong side of town become that successful and impressive man?

All Jess could remember was how he’d rescued her repeatedly like a knight in shining armour, become her saviour, but then when it really mattered, when she really needed him, he’d hung her out to dry. She hated him for that, and she’d never let him hurt her again no matter what he said or did.

Jess barely slept that night, she still couldn’t believe that Alex of all people had waltzed into her life as though he’d never left, as though he’d never hurt her. It had taken years to get over the past, to stop the nightmares, but in an instant it was all back, as bad as it ever had been.

She needed coffee and more to kick start her morning, and give her the boost she needed before meeting her friend, so she got a take away from a nearby cafe and strolled towards Evelyn’s office. Not really wanting to go inside, her low slung dirty work jeans and steel toecap boots were out of place in such a pristine foyer, she waited outside, leaning against a lamppost, knowing that she’d beaten her friend who was always rushing to be on time.

She’d barely drunk half the cup when a voice cut the silence of her mind.

            “You could have made an effort, Mrs Pattison!”

Jess froze, not knowing what to say, even when she had married Alex no one other than him had ever referred to her by her ‘married’ name, and the words spilling in half jest from her friend’s mouth almost floored her.

            “Sorry Eve...” she struggled to meet her friend’s eyes, the shame and embarrassment were causing her to avoid her, and she looked so sad that her Eve was the one who instantly felt guilty.

Breaking into a smile Eve tried to lighten the suddenly sombre mood, “you have no need to apologise to me! Honestly!”

Jess dumped the coffee cup in a bin and turned to her, “I DO need to explain to you. I should’ve told you, I just......”

            “Does anyone know?” Evelyn couldn’t believe how traumatised her friend look. Jess had always held something back, she had always known that, but she’d never imagined she hid a secret like this. It was no secret that Jess didn’t get on with her pious parents, and this was the most unlikely discovery that Eve could have conjured up!

When Jess shook her head close to tears Evelyn swung an arm around her shoulder, “no one ever?” She shook her head again, and her friend smiled, “exactly, so why should I be any different? It’s cool honestly! I’m just glad you’re ok. You looked dreadful last night.”