VIII

EIGHT

EIGHT.

"Hello darlings!" The shrill voice echoed through the store as Andrew set off the entrance bell, holding the door open for Vivienne to walk through. She was immediately overwhelmed by the environment, surrounded by racks of dresses, fairy lights decorating every corner, and the pungent smell of vanilla wax melts. She stumbled back as the source of the overexcited voice, a teenage girl with her hair pulled into a slick back ponytail and a bright smile spread across pale features, planted herself in front of Vivienne. "What can I help you with today?"

Vivienne struggled to find her words, eventually spitting out whatever came to mind. "I need a dress."

Vivienne began to heat up in embarrassment, but the girl seemed unfazed by her social hiccup. "What occasion are you looking for?"

"Black tie optional." Andrew cut in, knowing Vivienne was far too flustered to answer. The girl nodded.

"Any color or cut in mind?" The girl inquired, her name tag reading Kenzie, but the word barely readable as it was covered in sharpie hearts and stars. "Short? Long? Bodycon? Babydoll-?"

"Just put some shit on me, babe." Vivienne waved a hand, and Kenzie jumped with excitement.

"Oooo! You're my favorite kind of person." Kenzie grabbed Vivienne's hand, tugging her further into the store. As she dragged her towards a rack, she glanced over at Andrew. "You can take a seat by the dressing rooms, hon!"

Andrew nodded, following her instructions and dropping into a chair by the row of rooms. He settled in, spreading his legs in discomfort at the small seat and pulling his phone out. He immediately noticed 3 messages from Gwen, unread during the cab ride as he was too focused on if Vivienne was going to puke on him. Luckily, she had made it, and Andrew now had the time to respond.

Gwenathan The Third
Event tonight.
I better see you in some damn photos.
Got a date?

Andrew scoffed, typing his response with a smile.

Andy (Big fucker)
i've got someone.

Gwen responded quickly.

Gwenathan The Third
Someone?

Andrew glanced up at Vivienne, who was being led around the store and convinced in to grabbing multiple dresses. Kenzie carried them on her arm, chatting up an obviously tense Vivienne like she was her best friend.

Andy (Big fucker)
someone.
:).

He spent the next 10 minutes casually scrolling, swiping away Gwen's prodding messages. His attention was only pulled when Vivienne was ushered into the dressing room in front of him, Kenzie pushing a dress into her hands. He bounced his leg nervously as she changed.