XI

ELEVEN

ELEVEN.

By the time they had gotten their helmets back on and took off, the rain had quickly transformed into a storm. Water poured from the heavens and flooded the streets within minutes, making it increasingly difficult for Vivienne to navigate the roads. Sewers began to clog, creating large puddles of water that dragged at her tires and pulled her from side to side with every movement.

Her breath fogged her visor, and along with the already dark sky and obscuring conditions it created a fearful state for her. Andrew noticed immediately, extending his grip around her hips and to her waist to give her comfort. It did no use as the thunder began to crack the skies, and by the time they had reached his home, Vivienne was in a full panic.

They crashed through the door, ripping off their helmets. Andrew spat out water and wet hair that clung to his lips, his clothes 10 pounds heavier from being soaked in rainwater. He fought the wind to shove the door closed, and when he turned around, he was met with an empty foyer.

"Viv?" He called out, his voice almost entirely covered by a strike of lightning that couldn't have been more than a few blocks away. Andrew flinched, feeling the floor shake beneath him as he carefully walked towards the kitchen. It was there he found her, pacing herself in circles with her hands covering her ears. His voice had twisted with concern, now. "Vivienne?"

"Shit. Shit. Shit." She whispered to herself, boots squeaking on the floor as she took quick steps around the tile. "Im-I'm sorry."

She was cracking at the seams with anxiety, her voice breaking.

"Hey- it's okay-" Andrew tried his best to comfort her, reaching out a hand in her direction, but she quickly swatted it away.

"No! No it's not!" She nearly shouted, her words unsteady. She backed herself up, like a scared dog ready to bite. "It's not okay- I don't do good with these!"

Andrew stood in shock, unsure on how to tread a moment like this. To see someone so strong and confident like Vivienne break so quickly had him at a loss for words for a few seconds, staring at her like a fool. When he gathered his thoughts, he lowered his voice to a near whisper. "Do good with what?"

"This!" She gestured around, dropping her hands from her ears. "I fucking hate thunderstorms."

Andrew nodded. "It's alright, I do too-"

"No you don't fucking get it!" She cried out, her words forced into a higher pitch from her shallow breaths. Andrew tried his best not to react to her irritated state, in fear that he could make her shut down. "I just-"

Her palms covered her face as she let out a few loud sobs. The memories came rushing back to her like the waves at the beach, every few seconds slamming into her with old emotions she hoped to have buried long ago.

"Emani— you're gonna!-"

Her own voice, younger and filled with innocence echoed in her head. She felt the same hopelessness she had in that moment, unable to reach for the wheel in time before the car veered off the road and into a field.