Chapter 7

Maxine woke up in her room. Her eyes hurt from the bright morning light that peeked through her curtains, it honestly was not inviting in the slightest and she groaned tiredly as she turned in her Ber and faces away from it. She glanced at the alarm clock on her nightstand and it read 9:05 am, she slowly got up and started to slowly climb out of her bed and then she quietly put on her slippers and headed for the bathroom in her pyjama pants and white tank top.

She groggily pushed the door open, hitting her head simultaneously. It snapped her awake for that moment and she walked in and looked down at the white ceramic wash basin before looking up at the mirror. Too say she was a mess would be an understatement, she was looking horrible and didn't feel good in the slightest. Not after the attack in the woods.

The Attack.

The night her life changed. The deaths of Tyler and Andrew that night traumatized her, everytime she closed her eyes she saw the events play out in her head on repeat and it drove her crazy. Whatever it was that attacked them that night was out for blood and it found it in their little camp that fateful night, she didn't what it was.

But it sure as hell was no bear.

She leaned her head to the side and touched her right shoulder where the monster bit her, the wound had already healed and it was nothing but a fading scar now and it looked like it was still in the process of fading. She got closer to the mirror and watched it closely with surprised eyes, a few days ago it was a fresh wound that she patched up. She had thought about going to a hospital and making sure she didn't have rabies, bit she didn't want to deal with anyone after what happened.

Everyone became cold. Kelly, Madison, Katie and her were all blamed for the deaths of Tyler and Andrew and the school treated them all like they were criminals, despite being the most popular in school. Maxine didn't care about their anger or how they blamed them for anything, she stopped feeling anything after that thing bit her.

The police pulled them all in for questioning and they were released after, her mother was so worried about her and she eventually started to become more overprotective during these past few days. She hated it.

"Max?"

Maxine closed her eyed at this. Her mother's helicopter attitude was getting irritating now and it pissed her off, it made her growl instinctively and she froze at that and looked at the reflection in her mirror. Then she noticed her eyes were a slight gold before they became brown again.

"What in the actua-"

"Are you awake, honey?" her mother's voice came again.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm awake, mom," she replied quickly before turning the faucet on and started to splash some water on her face.

"Can I come in?"

Maxine debated this. But she decided it would be best if she let her in, she barely talked to her these past few days and it worried her.

"Yeah."

Then she heard the door to her room open. She heard her mom make her way into the room before making a beeline toward the bathroom, Maxine was busy drykng her face with the towel at this point as she wanted to drag out the possibility of a conversation with her mother.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine, mom," Maxine replied. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Maxine, you just lost two of your friends from an animal attack and said animal proceeded to attack you as well." Ms Morelli explained. "There's no possible way that you are fine with this. I just want you to know that I'm here if you want to talk. Okay?"

"Mom, can you just trust me enough to believe that I'll be  fine. For now at least." Maxine said looking at her with an exhausted expression.

"Of course," Ms Morelli nodded.

Her mother held out her arms and Maxine stared at her for a moment before slowly walking up and hugging her, it was nice but she wouldn't tell her that. Her and her mother were on a delicate term in their relationship, it wasn't easy for them after her mother finalized her divorce to Maxine's father and it made an impact in her life.

"Breakfast is downstairs. You should eat." Ms Morelli said letting her go.

"I'll be down in a minute." Maxine said with a small nod before looking down at the floor.

Her mother smiled before leaving her to her privacy. Maxine sighed deeply and closed the door to her bathroom before stripping down and headed into the shower to get ready for another day.

Luckily, it was the weekend. Because she wasn't sure she could handle another school day of insults and ridiculing.

              .......................................

Amaria stood by the balcony of the house as she watched Daisy interacting with Daniel and Vanessa, she had coffee in hand and smiled as she watched the cute interaction. Daisy was a unique Chronic Vampire, unlike most who were mostly serious and broody, she kept a natural bubbly aura about her that she retained from her humanity.

"There is no doubt that the boy could be a Cordenian," Desmond said as he approached. "His last name Corden, is a dead give away of that."

"There are many Cordens in this world." Amaria stated before sipping on her coffee.

"The Cordenia Family was a large family, Amaria," Desmond stated. "One of the Original 12 Ascenders is the Patriarch of the Family, I doubt the Strigoi and Muldoy killed every descendant. There may have been surviving members."

Amaria sighed at this.

"Have you fed?" Desmond asked after a moment of silence.

"No."

"You should. These woods have deer you can hunt and feed on." Desmond said.

Amaria nodded.

"I'm more worried about my daughter."

"Ah, you mean her age." Desmond said with a slight exhale. "She will be 10 soon."

"Meaning her thirst for blood will start to develop and her vampire biology will start to surface." Amaria said a bit somberly.

"I feel you knew this day was coming. You can't stop it, Amaria. It will happen no matter what." Desmond said before crossing her arms. " Young Chronic vampires start to develop a taste for blood at that age and its also their time for their vampiric biology to kick in."

"She'll be scared. Frightened by the sudden change." Amaria said.

"You'll be there for her."

"Daniel will be a problem. He already has a phobia for vampires after the Muldoy killed his parents." Amaria said as she watched Daisy dance around with Daniel and Vanessa. "I'm afraid how he will react if he finds out we are all vampires. Including his new sister, Vanessa."

"We can't shield him forever." Desmond said quietly.

Amaria had told Desmond and Daisy not to use their vampiric abilities in the presence of the kids yet, since Vanessa didn't know of her true nature and Daniel had a fear of vampires after his traumatic experience with the Muldoy. They made sure to be careful but Vanessa was about to turn 10 soon and it was only a matter of time until they found out.

"Watch them." Amaria said glancing at Desmond and he nodded at her before turning his attention back to Daisy and the kids.

Amaria made sure she was far enough, before blitzing off into the woods.