Silly me

Our deployment came sooner rather than later and just as predicted it went to hell. Luckily due to my intel, we all made it out alive. We ended up going on the run, staying in a safe house outside of the country. The world began its downward spiral into all-out war and now nowhere was safe.

"Fucking hell." Ghost sighed as he and Soap checked what little gear we had. 

"It's not much right now but we'll slowly build up." Price reassured us. "For now let's take it easy."

"Easy? I don't know how we can take it easy with the world at war now." Gaz shook his head, sinking into the worn-out couch.

"Trust me, this war ain't going anywhere." Price sighed. "Let's just get some sleep and think of the next step in the morning."

Everyone agreed, dragging cots around the house. Price and Gaz took the living room, Roach and Colton took one room, Soap was on first watch, and Ghost and I were in another room.

I had my shirt off when Ghost walked into the room, my brand mark visible as he walked. The room went silent and I knew he was staring at it. I pulled a T-shirt on, pretending it wasn't there.

"Did they do that?" He spoke first.

"Yeah, only hurt for a minute, the nerves died quickly." I shrugged fixing my cot.

"Y/n.. What else did they do to you?" Ghost stood there, his eyes tracing over my body.

"Just a couple broken bones, few missing fingernails, missing toe, that's all." I sat down on my cot.

"Bloody hell.." Ghost found himself sitting next to me. "Y/n.."

"I'm fine Ghost, it worked after all. Everyone's alive." I avoided looking at him, I didn't want to see his face and the possible look it could have on it. 

"That's still hell that you had to suffer through." Ghost placed his hand on my thigh, trying to comfort me.

I knew I should probably be breaking down at this point but they had broken that in me. It was almost normal for me to be numb now. 

"I'll live." I patted his hand and finally looked at him. "So how have you been?"

There were mixed emotions in his eyes, hurt, anger, fear. He still cared for me after all this time.

"We've been barely hanging on since you left." Ghost sighed, moving his hand. "You left us without much direction to go in."

"I'm sorry." That's right, they had been relying on me for intel. I couldn't help the fact that Price wanted get to the bottom of it all and fast.

"It's not your fault." Ghost looked at the ground. "I wish you had said something. Would have made the days easier."

"Again, I'm sorry." Sorry was all I could say. What else did he want from me?

"Again, not your fault." Ghost stood up. "You're probably exhausted. Get some sleep." 

"Ghost?" My hand grabbed his before I could stop myself. "Stay. Please."

Ghost nodded and we both crammed onto my cot, his arms holding close. I didn't want to be alone, too many nightmares came with that.

"You're safe Y/n.." Ghost gently stroked my hair, I just laid there taking in his scent. 

-Morning.- 

"We need to move." The morning brief was not going well, half of us wanted to move the other half wanted to stay hidden a little while longer.

"We have a second safe house set up." Price and I made sure we had multiple locations to hunker down in. "This one comes with resources."

"Then What are we debating?"  Colton was standing a little too close to me, for some reason I looked to Ghost for his reaction, surprised when there was none. 

What was I excepting? It has been a year after all. 

"Are we sure it's safe to move though?" Soap was still on edge.

"We're moving. that's final." Price ended the conversation.

We began packing up gear and getting ready to head out.

"Y/n!" Colton called to me from across the room.

I ignored him, I didn't want to deal with him. Out of all the people into me, I wish he'd stop being into me.

"Y/N!" He yelled again.

"Lover boy is calling." Ghost approached me, pointing to Colton.

"Last time I checked I thought you didn't want me around him." I threw my bag on my back. 

"A lot changed." Ghost shrugged as he walked away.

That stung, but of course, he moved on. I had rejected him and then disappeared for a year. In my head I had made up silly things just to keep surviving, I was stupid to think it was real. 

"Let's move out." Price yelled and we began our trek to the new location.