The art of naming

Jude relaxed into her white silk gown as she let Tatterfell run the comb through her hair. It had been a grueling and excruciating 12 hours for her as she welcomed her daughter, her second child into the world. The nine long months of not being able to do anything had finally ended and she had never before been more glad for being able to actually see her feet when she looked down.

Yet she knew she would do that all over again if it meant being able to hold her precious daughter in her arms. A daughter whose name was yet undecided.

"How would you like me to do your hair?" Tatterfell asked as she held up a few strands of her hair between her fingers in a contemplative gesture.

"Leave it open. Also don't put on any make up for now. I'd like to get back to my chamber and rest."

Tatterfell gave a small nod in return as she stepped back offering her a curtsey. Jude swept past her, trying to hold herself as regally as possible but at the same time anxious to return back to her new borne child.

***

The three-year-old toddler prince, Tristan Greenbriar grasped his fathers fore arms as he tried to get a better look at his little sister, all bundled up in her fathers arms. Cardan smiled at Tristan, gently lowering his arms to allow his son a better view of the little princess. The boys eyes widened in wonder and amazement, as his tiny tail whipped back and forth in excitement. 

"Dad, Look! She just opened her mouth! What is she saying?" Tristan squealed bouncing upon his butt as he pointed at the baby.

"Well, I assume she's yawning, son. It'll take her a little time to start speaking." Cardan gazed down at his daughter in pure adoration and pride.

"What's she called, Dad?"

"Exactly Cardan, what is she called? I assume you've already decided upon a decent name for our daughter. Especially after you begged me to let you name her this time, since I got to name our son the time before." 

Jude stood leaning against the door frame, her arms crossed and a tight lipped smile upon her lips. There was dangerous sharpness to her words, as though saying 'I dare you to have forgotten to decide upon a name for her'.

Cardan's smile momentarily fell at the sight of his wife before it stretched into broad grin. Tristan's eyes lit up at the sight of his mother.

"Mum!" He rushed over to Jude, tightly hugging her legs. Her face softened instantly as she knelt down to embrace her son.

"I missed you a lot. No body would let me see you. They said you're busy."

"I know, Tristan. I'm sorry I couldn't see you but I was a little busy. I missed you too." Jude gently pressed her lips upon the young princes temple before turning her gaze back to Cardan. Cardan cleared his throat slightly under Jude's piercing gaze.

"Of course, my Queen. I have indeed selected a name for her, a quite befitting name if I say so myself." Cardan announced proudly all the while gently brushing away the black curls from the baby's pale fore head. The said baby let out a soft sniffle before burying herself deeper into her fathers chest. Jude could almost see her husbands heart melting at the tiny gesture.

"I hope it's decent and befitting for a faerie princess. Because, honestly, the previous names you'd suggested were- er, unique- but not quite suitable for her."

"They were beautiful. Still you kept rejecting them."

"Jude II or Elvendork are not suitable, Cardan. Trust me on that."

"I do, that's why I have worked harder than I have worked all my life and come up with the perfect name. A master piece actually."

"Is that so? Lets hear your master piece then." Jude said raising an eye brow, Cardans grin morphed into a smirk at that.