CHAPTER 6: IF THE SHOE FITS, GET IT OFF!

Kanyin

"I call this Mariana. It's a transformative dress idea I got a while back. One tug of the elastic waistbands and a ball gown style goes over the bodycon lower part of the dress," I explain to Deb, flipping a page in my sketchbook to show her the transformation page.

Deb nods, tracing her fingers through the pencil lines of my sketch, her brows furrowed forming deep creases on her forehead and the corners of her lips tugged upwards in a small smile.

Finally, someone who gets me.

Deb and I are curled up on a sofa in front of a large window that allows in natural light, with a grand marble fireplace to our right. When we first moved here, I was too preoccupied with the hallway to see the living room. The floor is carpeted in a soft crimson color, and the walls are covered in an exquisite floral wallpaper design. Above us are two large brass chandeliers, and I can only imagine how beautiful they would be when lit at night.

"Kanyin, you are needed in the library," my brother's voice rings above the staircase. I flip to the next page of my sketchbook, fully ready to ignore him.

"It sounds like it's important," Deb says from beside me.

"Nothing is ever important with Kola," I mumble, flipping another page of my sketchbook like I haven't gone through it numerous times to gush about my talent.

"I need to talk to you."

Kola's voice is closer now.

I shut my sketchbook, glancing up to look at him. He seems fine. No injuries of any sort.

"Can it wait? I'm basking in Deb's compliments over how talented I am," I say, throwing a wink at Deb.

She chuckles.

"Trust me, you wouldn't want to miss this," Kola says in an ominous voice. He doesn't have to say it directly, but his entire countenance screams something bad just happened.

I stand. "Deb, you can keep looking. I'll join you later," I tell her, placing my sketchbook in her lap before hurrying after Kola, who has turned to leave.

"Woah," I announce, entering the library behind him. I thought the manor was done being magnificent, but it finds a way to get even better.

"Don't get distracted, this is important," Kola orders, gesturing for me to follow him from where I stare at a painting of grandma hanging at the library's entrance.

I follow him down some rows until we reach the classic literature section. He walks further into the row and stops to stare awestruck at something. What is so strange about a bunch of books? I wonder, inching nearer until I see it.

A small space between four books lays a pair of brown dress shoes with wingtips.

"Do you get what's going on?" Kola asks as I gawk at the shoes.

I glide my finger along the toe cap of the shoe. "Have you tried them on?" I ask him.

He snickers. "No way, these shoes appeared out of nowhere. There's no way I can try them on," he explains, gesturing to the shoes.

I turn to him. "Mine appeared out of nowhere this morning, and I tried them on," I tell him.

His teeth sink into his full bottom lip. "Tha-That's so messed up Kanyin," he stutters, staggering backward. "Did anything happen when you wore them?" he asks, his fearful gaze pinned on me.