CHAPTER 17: GET LOST OR GET BEHIND ME

Kanyin

Losing the match was a bummer, but the biggest bummer was breaking a nail on my right hand. I wasn't supposed to remove these nails until next week, but Yvonne's aggressive volleying accelerated things.

"Babycakes, I got you some water," Terna says from behind me, clutching a bottle of water.

I roll my eyes before they fall on him. "I'm still considering Princess. And now this? What the hell is babycakes?"

He grabs my right palm from where it lays by my side. "I reckoned you liked varieties," he says, caressing the back of my palm with his thumb.

"Of course, but that's when I'm changing my fragrance for each day, not with appalling nicknames," I say, grabbing the water bottle from under his arm. "I broke a nail, by the way," I tell him before taking a swig of the water.

"Really?" he asks, alarmed. "Let me see," he says, bringing my palms closer to his face so he can get a good look at my chipped index fingernail.

"Careful, my hands are sensitive," I warn him, taking another gulp of water from his bottle.

"Does it hurt when I do this?" he asks before gently pursing his lips and exhaling a breath on my fingers.

"No, keep going," I assure him, inching closer to him so he doesn't have to bend his head so low.

He stops blowing air for a second to lean in and plant a feathery kiss on my right cheek. My entire body goes overdrive, with my breath racing and my palm growing clammy in his hold.

"You shouldn't have done that. I'm quite sweaty," I tell him as he's about to pull away.

"Really?" He smirks before sniffing my neck, the slight touch of his nose against my neck causes the tiny hairs to stand rigid. "You smell fantastic," he whispers, voice dripping with allure as his chestnut orbs peer into mine.

"You smell good, too," I manage to muster despite the heat transpiring between us.

"Do I?" he asks with raised brows circling his hands around my waist. "What else do you think of me?" he asks in a delicate rasp.

I smack my lips together, ensuring my lip gloss spreads in every section. It feels foolish that I'm anticipating a kiss from someone who isn't my boyfriend—yet. His words, not mine.

"I think this is very nauseating to watch," an annoying voice says, breaking our trance.

"That's cock-blocking Kola. Terna was just about to kiss me," I say to him, unfazed by the way Terna's eyes widen from my bluntness.

Kola pretends to gag before facing me with a deadpan. "I would like to talk to you. When you're done, you guys can go back to brewing whatever tension was happening before I sadly interrupted," he states, motioning with the back of his palm for Terna to leave.

Terna's lips brush my cheek gently before he leaves Kola and me alone on the court.

"What?" I ask, immediately Terna is out of earshot.

"Quick update, Yvonne is actually Angel's daughter, and for some strange reason, she hates us. We need to figure out a way to find her aunt if she's somewhere in Lẹ́kò," he summarizes.

My nose scrunches in disbelief. "Wait, how do you know all this? Where's this coming from?" I ask, willing for him to go into further details.