CHAPTER 8: HIGH HEEL ENERGY

Kanyin

The cafeteria at Iroko Prep is one way to never forget Mom.

According to Feyi, the parents of Lẹ́kò City have forbidden westernized food. Hence the food given at the school is exclusively Nigerian. Every week is a new ethnic meal. Since Iroko is multicultural, we have to learn about each student's culture. This week's lunch honors the Ikwerre tribe with a starter—boiled yams and palm oil—preceding the main goat meat soup.

I spoon a small chunk of the meat in the soup, while a wave of flavors that range from spicy to well-seasoned hits my tongue.

"My brother said Kola absolutely humiliated Yvonne today," Feyi gushes with pride, her bowl of soup long forgotten by her side.

I spoon some soup into my mouth. "You have a brother?" I understand why she knows I have one, I've mentioned Kola a few times in our discussion, but she hasn't mentioned her brother once.

"That's right. His name is Timi, and he's in tenth grade with Kola. I would have thought he mentioned him," she says.

I shrug. "My brother is an introvert who despises socialization, they might be in the same class, but it doesn't mean they talk," I explain, taking another spoon of the hot soup.

Feyi knits her brows. "I don't think so. They seem quite close for him to back up Timi during his audition. Kola even got the role of Macbeth."

The pepper from the soup goes down the wrong tube, and I struggle to breathe, coughing uncontrollably.

Feyi rushes to my aid, handing me a cup of water, her hand patting my back.

I chug the content of the cup. "How-How is that possible? My brother has never read a Shakespeare book in his life," I say in a hoarse voice.

Feyi takes her seat. "Maybe he finally found his calling," she suggests.

This isn't a calling. I bet it's the shoes. My little brother found its purpose after all.

I glance at Feyi. "Have you, by any chance, heard a rumor about shoes in the Damini Manor?" I ask, resting against my seat to appear nonchalant.

She takes a spoon of her soup. "Not really, not many people speak about the manor, just what it was before," she takes another spoon. "But, I heard from Timi, who heard from Gloria, that Terna Wellington basically does research on Dark Sole for fun. But of course, you can't go to him with your questions," she says, her eyes never leaving her bowl.

My eyes dart around the cafeteria, searching for the tallest guy in the room.

"If you're looking for Terna, he's not here. He spends most of his time in the library," she says, her eyes still on her bowl.

I place a palm on her fist. "Look, I know you want me to stay away, and this is your way of trying to protect me, but I have questions that only he might have the answers to," I explain.

She nods. "You may speak to Terna, but please, do not let him manipulate or force you into anything. I've heard rumors that one look into his brown eyes has anyone doing his bidding," she says, replacing my palm on her fist with her second palm.

"That's strange, my eyes do the same," I announce cockily.

Feyi stifles a laugh with a palm and then explains the directions to the library. I grab my bag that's perched on the chair next to me before heading there.