CHAPTER 27: THE GHOST IN RED SOLES

Kola

We have found eighteen pairs of shoes and one red heel.

Last week has been hectic with midterms and shoe searching. My sister and I have barely had a proper conversation. When she isn't fusing her amethyst with mine, she's hiding out in the atelier to design. I haven't heard from Terna as well. After he dropped Kanyin home from their date, I never see them speak in school or catch them on their usual late-night phone calls. Meanwhile, after the dance, Yvonne and I have gotten a lot closer, platonically, of course. She started hanging out at the manor two days ago, and every time I see her and Kanyin in the same space, I try not to roll my eyes that someone chose my sister over me. I'll never tell Kanyin about it though, Yvonne and I wouldn't hear the end of it that's for sure.

"There's nothing in here telling us how she set an entire house on fire without even becoming a Spector," Yvonne complains from opposite me in the manor's library.

"Kola already said she might not be working alone," Deb reminds them from beside me.

"We've found almost every shoe, and we're stuck with yet another mystery," I grumble, sinking deeply into the chair.

"Can't we sprinkle holy water on that bitch?" Yvonne suggests flipping through the pages of a journal.

Deb grunts and I avert my gaze to my sister, who has been quiet since we entered the lit library.

"Are you good?" Yvonne asks Kanyin in a concerned tone.

Of course, she noticed Kanyin was down. Her eyes must linger on Kanyin all day. I need to stop getting pissed off whenever I think about them so I can take the L and move on. There must be something about Kanyin that attracts troubled boys and girls.

Playing the role of the concerned brother, I also check in by saying, "You've been silent all afternoon, and I haven't seen any sign of Terna all week. Are you guys okay?"

The moment I finish speaking a subtle sigh escape her lips—a telltale sign that there are unspoken thoughts weighing heavily on her mind.

"You can talk to us Kanyin," Deb urges her, holding her gaze attentively.

"Ugh.." she swallows. "Terna doesn't love me...he couldn't say it back," she says in a hoarse voice.

The room is dead silent as we take in her words. If anything, I would have thought Kanyin would be the one to break Terna's heart, not the other way around. I mean, it's Kanyin. She's the diva with a carefree attitude. No one should have the power to hurt her.

"Shit," Yvonne mutters. "Imagine fumbling, Kanyin. Send him my condolences," she states, crossing her smooth legs on the table.

Kanyin breaks into a half smile, turning to Yvonne, "Aren't you guys friends?"

Yvonne waves a hand in dismissal. "I'm a girl's girl. He hurt my friend, so he's canceled," she says, staying loyal to Kanyin.

I don't know if it's her crush talking or her solidarity to her female friends.

"Do you hate him now?" Deb asks, staring at Kanyin.

Kanyin releases a resigned breath, clasping her fingers on the table. "It's not his fault that he isn't ready to love me. I can't possibly hate him for something he's not in control of...I couldn't hate him even if I tried. I still get butterflies when I hear his name," she admits, shutting her eyes in pain.

"I get butterflies when I think about myself," Yvonne mumbles from where she sits, but we ignore her ridiculously high self-esteem.

Deb stands from her seat, pulling Kanyin into a tight hug. I'm not a physical contact kind of brother, so I hope the apologetic look that I'm giving her will suffice.