24

1 month ago.

____

"I can assign you a million medications, Alea. But the effects aren't permanent. Yes, you'll go a day or two without a nightmare but you'll just end up all doped up on medication for the rest of your life."

"It's not for the rest of my life. Just until Leighton walks up-"

"You don't know how long that'll be Alea." Mrs. Marshall interrupts me.

"You don't even know if he's going to-"

"He will." I say firmly. "It's just until then, okay?"

"Please. Just one more dose." I plead, my body shaking uncontrollably and my eyes blood-shot red from lack of sleep.

Mrs. Marshall looks sympathetically at me before shaking her head,

"I'm sorry. It is for your own good, I promise."

"Damnnit!" Senseless anger pours out of me and I flip over the coffee table in the center of the room, causing Mrs. Marshall to fall back.

"Alea!"

I put my hands on my head, my body feels like it's convulsing and my head is spinning and the only thing I want to do is sleep.

"What's going on? Alea? Alea what's wrong?" Hayden comes bursting in and immediately comes to hold me. He's been staying outside my sessions for awhile now, just in case I ever needed moral support.

"I can't sleep Hayden. Everytime.. everytime I close my eyes I see him. His.. his body." I manage to say as I'm crying into Hayden's arms.

"What if he doesn't wake up Hayden?"

"I j-just need one more dose. Please. That's it."

Hayden puts a hand on the back of head while I cry harder into his arms. "That's what I said. "Just one more drink, that's it. I promise." But really? It never ends with just one more, Lea."

He holds me tighter. "You'll be fine. Alright? I'm here for you, no matter what."

And he was.

present day

present day

__

"What do you mean he doesn't want to see me?"