Shatter the world

I push the door open with a forceful thud and make my way back to our table.

"You good?" Iqra presses.

I nod, "Yes, I'm great." That was definitely less convincing than I think it was.

Iqra opens her mouth, but closes it in an instant. She doesn't want to crack me more that she sees I've already been broken.

The next day, we head back to the bank to select the council that will aid me in scattering what my grandfather left me.

We are ushered into a large, minimalistic, and bright white conference room. Seated around the table are approximately twenty people of varying ages and sense of style. Arthur took his place at the head of the table. "Welcome, and thank you for..."

Avery pov:

I haven't seen Trinity for a few days, and Jameson doesn't know anything about it, but he thinks she's sick. Grayson doesn't respond to my questions about her.

I texted her around six times yesterday, but she hasn't replied. With nothing much else to do, I headed over to her wing but, when I reached the painting it didn't budge. She must've somehow locked it. I don't feel right barging in her room or even trying to get in so I headed off to the library.

In the library, I find the youngest Hawthorne sprawled on the ground,"What are you doing? I approach him cautiously.

"I heard that you have a need for speed." Xander says. He was clearly in high spirits. "God bless the paparazzi, am I right? I also heard that you had a very special chat with my mother."

I wasn't sure if he was pumping me for information or commiserating. "Your mother is something else," I said.

"Skye is a complicated woman." Xander nodded sagely. "But she taught me how to read tarot and moisturise my cuticles, so who am I to complain?"

Skye wasn't the one who'd forged them, pushed them, set them to challenges, expected the impossible. She wasn't the one who'd made them magic.

"You got the same letter from your grandfather," I tested Xander, examining his reaction.

"Did I now?"

I narrowed my eyes slightly. "I know that you got it, too."

"Maybe I did," Xander admitted cheerily. "But hypothetically, if I had, and if I hypothetically were playing this game and wanted, just this once—and just hypothetically—to win..." He shrugged. "I'd want to do it my way."

"Does your way involve robots and scones?"

"What doesn't?" Grinning, Xander bounded up from the ground and walked smoothly out of the library.

"Xander!" I call out "Wait!"

He stops and turns on his heel "Hmmm?" his chin juts out.

"What's going on with your sister?"

"Trinity is tied up in foreign affairs, unwanted media attention, and is busy changing history and shattering the world." He replies with his usual dramatic flair, and I laugh.

I knew the possibility of Trinity ignoring me was practically impossible, but from what I've seen, no matter how kind Trinity Hawthorne appeared on the outside, she is not someone I want against me.

"Come," says Xander, linking his arm through mine, "you need a distraction. A Hawthorne distraction."

I'm so distracted by the crazed glint in his eyes that I don't notice until we're halfway down the hallway that he didn't answer my questions.

Trinity pov:

I stuff all the cash I have left in my purse in an envelope, and leave it in the sedan.

We're heading home and far too soon at that. I wish we could stay where no one knows who I am. We thank Hans for all his hard work, and I promise to give him a raise. He laughs it off, insisting he's comfortable where he is. The plane ride home is quick because I sleep for most of it. We land in Texas, and I realise I haven't eaten anything for close to twenty hours. I really should eat, but I shrug it off as a sedan comes to pick us up.

The driver, a member of the security team I don't recognize, drops Iqra and Adrina off before going to Hawthorne House. It's close to ten pm, but after I get my luggage to my room and head to the kitchen, I find Avery walking the halls, clearly looking for something. "Lost something?"

Her head snaps up "No, no. Well actually," she twists her fingers, "I was looking for you."

Or someone.

"What an honour," I deadpan, "Why?"

"You and your brothers all got the same letter."

I highly doubt he left ten billion dollars to all of my brothers, and I remember what Avery said when they were reading Jameson's letter on the way to school. My answer will determine a lot from here. Not that I care, I know how this game is played. I could also tell her the truth, that i haven't opened my letter yet, but that might lead to some suspicion. I decide on a vague reply, "I suppose we did."

She nods gullibly. "Thanks."

As she walks away, an idea forms in my head.

"Avery!"

She turns around.

"I'm driving to school tomorrow. I know you're going to the foundation after school, but I'll be there. Afterwards, do you want to go shopping? Just a bit of fun. An escape."

She looks at me, considering. "I'll have to ask Alisa, but it sounds great!"

I beam "Yay! And don't worry about Alisa, I'm sure she'll say it's good publicity."

She laughs, and I join her.

An opportunity to get some information. Joy.

A.N.: Sorry I missed last week, I was feeling really drained. Also, I've started a new story! It's loosely based on some personal experiences and a whole ton of imagination. It's called "Agent Goldfinch" so pls go and check it out! Ily all and I hope you love this chapter and have a great week!
<3!