Look up

I wander into the Trinity Hawthorne gallery after dinner, and find Avery.

"Hi." I walk quietly so I don't startle her. She gazes at a painting. The Four Brothers. 

"Granddad loved that one." I smile.

She turns around. "What are you doing here?"
"Enjoying this beautiful party, just like you. Do you like these flowers?" I walk to the arrangement in the centre of the gallery. "They were my idea."

"They are very pretty." She makes out, her voice struggling to make out words.

"Thank you." I eye the painting, lost in my thoughts.

"If you don't mind me asking," Avery begins, sounding as if she doesn't really care if I mind or not. "Why did he love it so much if it was only the four brothers? Where are you?"

I wrap my fingers around a rose and smile. "Look up."

The Trinity Kallistrate Hawthorne Gallery. Kindly funded by Tobias Hawthorne.

"Oh. You really are everywhere." Avery looks at the gold letters with a mix of admiration and flabbergast.

"Larger than life is what they always said." I inhale the scent of the rose deeply. "I might be right in front of you, and you would even notice. But at the end of the day, it's my stage."

"And to think I was under the impression your ego wasn't as incredibly inflated as your brothers."

"First impressions can be deceiving." I walk around the flowers so I stand directly in front of her. "For example, when Gray first met you, he hated you with every blue blooded cell in his body. Now? He'd die for you Avery Grambs."

"Is it wrong to say I'd do the same?" Her eyes glisten in the moonlight coming in from the large window. "I've felt like that since he kicked my principal out of his office. Since I saw his silver eyes."

I stand up straighter. "No. So, do you have a crush on Jameson or Grayson? Avery, they both have feelings for you. Complex, hidden feelings no doubt. But feelings nonetheless."

She nods.

"Speaking of which, why are you confiding in me? You don't usually express your feelings towards me."

"I trust you." She looks up at me with shiny eyes.

Three words. What have I done? Shouldn't I trust her back? Shouldn't I tell her what I know?

No.

Someone's love life isn't the same thing as life or power or secrets.

But it could be.

I shut the voice in my head down. "You're going to mess up your mascara. And a damn expensive one at that. Please don't cry."

She nods silently. "It might just be getting to me. All those life threatening experiences." She laughs a dry, cynical laugh.

"If it makes you feel better, Granddad wouldn't have wanted it to happen this way."

Avery's eyes are still brimmed with tears threatening to spill out. "What do you know that I don't, Trinity Hawthorne?"

I shrug nonchalantly "Seventeen years of Granddad. Also that a certain scone loving Hawthorne is standing just outside of that door, waiting for the perfect moment to swoop in, ask you to dance and tell you something important."

She smiles up at me. "I think we could be great friends."

"That makes the two of us. Now, I'll let Xan sweep you away." I turn on my heels and walk out of my gallery.

I can't find any of my brothers, so I locate Iqra and Adrina and the dessert table.

"Now, isn't that your third cream puff darling?"

A well dressed middle aged woman with a thick Texan accent looks me up and down.

"Umm..." I place the puff back on my plate.

"And ain't that the third little girl you've terrorised this even'in?" Nan walks up behind the woman, being sure to show off the ivory skull on her cane.

"Mrs O'Day!" The woman's eyes go wide.

"Damn right I am." Nans eyes scrutinise the woman.

"Why are you watch'in what my great granddaughters eat'in so damn close anyways?"

"She's your great granddaughter?" The woman trips over her words. "Trinity Hawthorne?"

"And she can eat as many damn cream puffs as she likes."

The woman smiles graciously and walks away, fuming .

"Now give that to me." Nan closes the distance between her and the cream puff on my plate. "Do, get another dear."

"Thanks, Nan."

"One of these days, you'll have to speak up for yourself. Life as a woman is hard enough without bringing each other down."

I nod through a mouth of cream.

"Adrina, Iqra," Nan smiles, her accent slightly butchering my friends' names. "I understand you came here with my great granddaughter. Would you like a ride back?"

"We're leaving so soon?"

"Well," Nan taps her cane. "We have to drop your lovely friends home, and we should really get back before another diplomatic incident occurs, don't your agree?"

Adrina smiles. "Yes indeed. I am getting rather tired. Thank you Mrs O'Day."

Nan waves a hand. "How many times do I have to tell you, Adrina? Call me Nan like the rest of my great grandchildren."

Adrina beams.

"Now," Nan grips her walking stick. "Call that wonderful driver of yours Trinity."

I pull out my phone. "He'll bee in the front in two minutes."

"Good to hear." Nan's accent thickens again as she fades back into what the rest of the world sees as a sour old lady.

Once we're in the limo Nan is the first to speak again. "Now, this is far nicer than that SUV I was forced to come here in. Next time dear, please tell me before leaving. I'd rather ride with you any day."

We drop my friends off and start up the winding road to the House. Once the house is in sight, so is a large black shape on one of the front lawns.

"What the hell is that?" I peer out the window.

"Watch your damn language, lady." Nan sits up straighter. "I believe that's a helicopter, Trinity."

The Blackwood.

Oh, Alexander Blackwood Hawthorne.

What did you do?

A.N.: Ok this is gonna be a long one so:
First off, sorry for not updating on Friday. I'm honestly so drained.

Next up, Nan is clearly the greatest character and I will not accept anything less.

Also, please go and look at my last message on my profile about Trinity's age. I need helppppp :'(( and I don't want to make anyone twins. What's a girl gotta do?

The last time I gave you a song lyric scavenger hunt, you loved it. Any other Artist's lyrics I should do?

Lastly, I can't BELIEVE we are almost at the end of the first book. It feels like yesterday I was thinking of Trinity's eye colour at three am in that creative frenzy one gets at that time.  I had no idea where this would to and I can't be more grateful for how this has turned out and a special thank you to some of my first readers <3 You made me dream.

I love you all so much and have an amazing week.
<33333!!!!!!
Sky(lar)