Chapter 13

Stephanie's POV

I woke up feeling groggy and checked the time, 5:17am. I must have fallen asleep yesterday. I don't know why I'm feeling so down and upset today; maybe it's because of what happened yesterday. I looked down on my thigh and saw that the place I'd stabbed yesterday hadn't healed completely.

Ignoring the pain, I hopped into the shower feeling the cold water prick my skin like needles. When I was done I changed into casual clothes as I had about one and a half hours before work starts.

I went over to my room and began to pack my stuffs. I had recently been feeling like a burden to Nalia and now I have a legit reason to leave. I felt eden raise her eyebrows at my thoughts but I ignored her.

When I was done packing my stuff, I checked the time again, 6:54am. I put the suitcase to the side and changed my outfit into a long sleeved button up white and black striped shirt with black trousers that flared a little bit at the end. I made my hair into a bun as best as i could and topped the look with some heels that wasn't too comfortable for me but decided to wear anyways. I had to have a good first impression on my future boss and fellow workers. I suddenly thought back to my "interview" with him.

Yeah, I'm sure that I've definitely given him a long lasting impression of me. But anyways, I'll make sure to prove myself and do my best and maybe, I'll find my mate along the way. As I put on my shoes and walk out the door, I left everything behind. No more fears, no more past issues, just hope and perhaps a bright future waiting for me.

                       ************
I walked into the lobby of the Phoenix investment and management company, felling very nervous. The busy humans walking about told me that this was no place for jokes. I walked to the receptionist and introduced myself as the new employee and he showed me the way to the fourth floor which was supposedly where Andrew's office is.

When I got to his office, I knocked twice before cautiously entering and boy, was he busy. His handsome face was masked by an expression of worry and he never looked up from his laptop. "Stephanie, here is your ID and your appointment letter as an intern in the editing and compiling team. Go to Carson and ask him to show you the ropes" he didn't start with his usual playful remarks.

When he packed all his stuffs and began to head out the door in quite a hurry, I decided to ask the question now as I may not get the chance to ask again. "umm, Andrew? Do you perhaps know any free apartment around here that I can live in?" I hurriedly blurted out. "I'm in quite a hurry here so I can't look into that right now. Those bastards in LA can't even manage a goddamn branch" he fished in his pocket and handed me a bunch of keys "that's the keys to my apartment, you can stay there if you want and we'll find somewhere else for you to stay when I get back. Don't forget to always keep the apartment clean and do not go into places where you're not supposed to".

Before I had fully comprehended what he said, he had already walked away, leaving me utterly shocked and confused.

Why?

Why would he go out of his way to do this for me?

Normally, I would've thought that he had an ulterior motive but I just couldn't bring myself to doubt his kind actions to me.

Clutching the keys, I navigated through the company to find Carson, the boss's personal secretary. When I got to his office, I walked up to his desk and handed him the appointment letter. He scanned it in one swift motion and pushed his black rimmed glasses up his face. "This way, Stephanie" he led me out of his office and into the hallway, explaining the details of the job as we walked.

"Those at the editing and compilation team are always expected to proof read and correct any report, proposals, memos and all related documents which will be handed to the CEO for approval. They are also in charge of taking minutes of meetings, taking note of prospective buyers and shareholder and compile everything into a monthly report which will also be forwarded to the CEO for the final approval. I hope you are capable of doing that much" he turned to me as we stopped in front of a door. "Yes I can". I nodded.