Chapter 26. Shrishti Unhappy

'Summer days pass so fast.', Pappa commented as Shrishti had breakfast with him.

Shrishti nodded as Pappa continued, 'It feels as if yesterday your result came. And now look, only a month is left for your college to start again.'

'Yup. I am excited it is starting though.' Shrishti commented.

'Pari! Did you get all the books yesterday? And did you get the admission done?'

Shrishti nodded. 'Yes. Arpit came with me to the college and we got everything done.'

'And how is your food project with Raghav going?'

'It is good.' Shrishti smiled happily before beginning to gush over Raghav's food, 'He mostly focuses on Indian homemade food but once in a while he makes these out of the world tasty dishes from some other country and Pappa, they are so delicious. They are like finger licking good.'

'You should bring some home then. Don't hog it to yourself.', Pappa told her.

She grinned back. 'Ok. I will try.'

'Try? Only try?'

'But Pappa! He makes it so good that Megha and I finish everything. Forget second serving, we end up having third servings these days!'

Her Pappa huffed before changing the topic. 'Megha's camp ended?'

'Yes, just four days ago. She comes home with me after lunch these days and spends the noon playing with me. Then she goes home when I go for my cycling practice.'

'And how is your cycling practice going on?'

'I have finally learnt how to use the cycle without Raghav holding the handle or seat for me. But I am still bad at turning.'

'You have been learning for more than a month now. You should have been an expert by now.'

'That is what everyone says. But what to do, Pappa? I am still so scared of falling that I struggle to learn it. I am my own enemy in this case.'

'Forget it. It is ok to learn at your own pace. This is not a competition.'

'I was hoping for it to be though.'

'What do you mean?'

'Our college has cycling races too. I want to participate in my second year.'

'You think you will win?'

'Of course not. There are better riders in my class, upper class and new batch of students will arrive who will be good too. I just want to participate. It seems fun. Meet new people, compete and just feel the wind on my face.'. She grinned as she closed her eyes and imagined herself on the cycle. 'Also, Shashi is into cycling competitions and he talks about it all the time when we call each other and now I want to compete to enjoy the feel of competing against someone.'

'Shashi? The boy we met around your birthday?'

'Yup.'

'Aha. Is he the reason you like cycling?' Her father's eyes twinkled as he smiled at her knowingly.

Shrishti did not take the bait. 'Shashi and Arpit and Raghav. All the guys I know are experts in it. Arpit comes to college in cycle! Raghav used to go to college in cycle! Even Daljeet and Divya can ride cycles. I feel like left behind amongst my group. That is why I am learning diligently.'

'Oh.' Her father went back to eating and Shrishti felt relieved. She did not want her father to start getting ideas.

'Maybe I could compete in final year. By then, I am sure I will be good at it.', Shrishti mused.