Chapter 8

!TW - Mention of Anxiety, Injury!

It's the next day. Monday. The school day has gone by quickly but has also been very boring - but I guess school always is boring. The last lesson on the schedule today is rugby practice, which I'm excited about because it's the only time during the day that I get to see Nick. I also like the rugby training because I am the team's reserve, and don't have to play when we run fake matches.

I sit on the bench and watch the others play. I sit in my own thoughts as I watch Harry run with the ball and knock down Nick. He flies to the ground and hits his head on the grass. He remains lying there and the other guys come closer and form a ring around him to see if he's okay - which I hope he is. Even though I really want to run to him, I don't, I don't want to be in the way or ruin anything. So I remain a few meters away, with anxiety and watch everything happen. After a while Nick comes walking towards me. I am worried.

He don't say a thing, just sits down next to me on the bench with one hand on his forehead - like he has a headache, which is completely understandable if he have. I ask if he wants to lie down, which he does without answering the question. He lies with his head on my leg and looks up at me. I comb back his hair from his face. But he has difficulty keeping his eyes open and sometimes closes them. It's like the light is too bright for him.

The coach is walking towards us.
"Here you have his things and a blanket, can you call his mother?" She says, looking at me. I nod in response and she disappears as quickly as she came. I take out my phone from the back pocket of my jeans and dial Sarah's number.
"Hello Charlie" says Sarah cheerfully on the other side of phone.
"Hey Sarah, I hope I'm not disturbing you" I say back full of anxiety - both over Nick but also over having to be a burden for her right now.
"No, is everything okay Charlie?" She asks with an undertone of concern. I feel myself holding back tears and answering her question with a shaky voice.
"Well, Nick has just hit his head on rugby training and I think you need to come and pick him up".
"It's okay Charlie, breathe. I'll be right there" Sarah says, and I now feel more calm knowing she's on her way.

When I hang up the phone I realise Nick is shaking in my lap. I run my hand through his hair causing him to open his eyes and look at me.
"Are you cold? Do you want the blanket?" I ask him and he nods slightly, so he don't have to move his head more than necessary. I put the gray blanket over him before he settles his head in my lap.
"You can sleep for a while if you want, Sarah is on her way" I whisper in his ear. He doesn't answer but I know he at least heard what I said because he closes his eyes again.

After 10 minutes Sarah is walking towards the bench we are sitting on. She comes forward and crouches down in front of us.
"I think he's sleeping" I say quietly and she nods before patting Nick lightly on the arm. He moves a little and tiredly opens his eyes.
"Hey Nicky, how are you?" Sarah asks Nick. He looks at Sarah silently for a moment before he manages to mumble an answer.
"My.. head.. hurts"