CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Singing along to the song that was blasting from the speakers in the corner, Julie highlighted another sentence in the article in front of her. She was sat on the floor, articles and text books and papers surrounding her. Pens and highlighters scattered, some with missing lids that she'd stress about later.

Batting away a strand of hair that kept falling in front of her eyes, she moved to turn the page.

Hearing the quietening of music, she lifted her head up confused. Slowly turning to look in the direction of the speakers she found Derek turning it down.

"What are you doing?"

"You're going to damage your own hearing with this volume never mind mine-"

"But it's T.Swizzle," she interrupted.

"Who?"

"Taylor Swift... god, Derek, what are you living in a cave?" She huffed.

"What are you even doing?"

"I'm studying."

"What for?"

"I'm going to watch a spinal fusion on Monday. So I only have tonight and tomorrow to study for it, they could ask me any question. Anything. What if they ask me Ortho questions... surely not, like they know what I want my speciality to be, right?" She asked, as she looked back at Derek, "oh god, I've got twice the work than I thought I did."

"I'm sure you're just overthi-"

The sound of her phone cut him off, and she reached out to grab it not caring that he was still speaking. "Hello?" She said, waiting for the voice to speak. She imagined Stiles was struggling on his science homework or he needed a lift or some extra alcohol for the party he was planning on going to. "I thought you were at a party toni-"

"Jules you need to help, I don't know what to do," Stiles said and she placed her highlighters down and got up moving to pull on her boots over her pyjama bottoms.

"Why? Speak to me, Stiles, what's happening? Has someone drank too much? Is anyone unconscious? What's going on?"

"I don't know...the bottles, all the wine bottles are on the floor and she's gone."

"Who's gone?"

"Heather. I went to go and get...well er, I went to grab something and when I went to go back to her she was just gone. She's not anywhere."

"Is it possible she just went home?"

"This is her home, Jules. She's disappeared from her own home."

"Okay, where's Scott?"

"Er...he's... found him, he's coming over to me."

"Stiles, you really need to phone dad. This will be a police matter. Hopefully she's just stumbled off drunk somewhere."

______

"You know, I'm starting not to like this idea. Sounds kinda dangerous..." Isaac said, "You know what? I definitely don't like this idea, and I definitely don't like him..."

"You'll be fine," Derek sighed.

"Does it have to be him?" Isaac asked.

"He knows how to do it-- I don't. It'd be more dangerous if I tried doing it myself."

Julie perked up at the words, as she looked to Derek with a slight smile, "was that personal growth I just heard?"

"You know Scott doesn't trust him, right?" Isaac added on, not caring about any of Derek's personal growth. "You know, personally, I'd... well, I'd trust Scott."