CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Derek was asleep, tucked into the corner of his bed whilst Julie was sprawled out, the sheets wrapped around only herself as she'd cuddled into them. Along the way, she'd migrated so that she was on his pillow with him.

However, the small peace they had been offered didn't last very long as the alarm began blaring. Derek bolted up first, rushing across to turn it off whilst Julie slowly sat up, her eyes caught on the window in front of her. She didn't care about whoever had entered, only what she was looking at.

"Cora?" Derek said, and Julie called out to them both.

"What is that?" She asked, and both of them turned to see what she was looking at.

"What does it mean?"

In front of them, made out of dust and dirt the Alpha pack's symbol had been drawn onto the window.

"It means they're coming," Derek began, sighing as he did so, "tonight."

Sighing out of exhaustion, Julie collapsed back onto the bed. Tonight was a tonights problem, not a now problem.

~~~~~~~

"Okay so what? We run? Hide? Set up traps? Have a bit of a home alone moment?" Julie asked, as she paced back and forth in the loft toying with an orange; throwing it up and down as she went.

"Whatever happens, you're not going to be anywhere near," Derek said, and she looked at him with a brow raised and a small smile on her face.

"It's cute that you think I'm stupid enough to throw myself into a fight," she mused, giggling as she did so. "Personally, I think the only thing I should be doing right now is creating a cocktail worth of shots in my stomach. However, I have the sneaky feeling that I'm going to be driving soon so..."

"This isn't a joke, you could die- "

"Oh, I can't die. I haven't succeeded in my dream of marrying a cowboy." Derek looked at her questioningly causing her to smile, "I really like the boots."

"Go back to school," Derek called out, just as the doors opened and Julie glanced over at it confused.

"Well, actually, we can't," Isaac announced as both himself and Boyd stepped in, "Boyd and I are incredibly and unbelievably sick."

"With what? Brain damage?"

"Well, I have a migraine, and, uh... Boyd here has explosive diarrhea."

"How are you guys not kicked out of the school?" Julie scoffed as she crossed her arms. Between the constant absences, terrible grades and constant chaos they caused she imaged they wouldn't have made it very far in Devonford.

"We're here to protect you, Derek," Boyd said, and she could see he was annoyed by Isaac's choice of ailment for him.

"You're here to protect me? Well, I'm in trouble, then..."

"Actually, Boyd came up with a plan..."

"Yeah, I thought about the time Gerard had me and Erica locked up, tied up with electrical wires pushing currents through us. I was wondering how we could do something like that... but on a bigger scale."

Julie thought on it for a moment before shrugging, "the easiest and fastest way to do that would be to flood the loft. Electricity travels faster and further in water."

"You're not flooding my loft," Derek said, and Julie pursed her lips as she glanced down at the floor.

~~~~~~

The loft was in the process of being flooded. They'd put crates down so that they didn't have to stand in the water, and there were a few hoses discarded on the floor as they waited for the water to get to a better level. All four of them had their trousers rolled up to their knees and their socks and shoes waiting for them somewhere dry.