Prologue

KIEV

Jack Harmon sits at a table, wearing headphones, and watching a monitor with a small computer sitting in front of it and a waitress stands behind him. The picture on the monitor shows a shabby hotel room in black and white and inside the room is Gennady Zozimov, whose shirt is covered with blood stains, being interrogated by a Russian godfather, Anatoly, and Claire Phelps lying on a bed and covered in blood, seemingly dead. Anatoly and Gennady speak in Russian.

Anatoly: It was good...

Anatoly picks up a fallen-over chair and sets it upright.

Anatoly: ...that you called us.

Gennady: (Sobbing) I don't know what happened. We were at the bar...

Anatoly aggressively grabs both of Gennady's forearms and then lets go. Gennady takes a seat in the chair.

Gennady: ...drinking... having fun... I don't even know... how I got here.

Anatoly walks over to the Claire's bedside and lifts her eyelid. Jack looks at his watch.

Jack: (Whispered, in English) Come on, come on. She's been under too long.

Gennady: You're the only one who can help me.

He then grabs onto Anatoly's arm and Anatoly jerks his arm away. He slaps Gennady on the back of his head and Jack jumps in slight surprise. Anatoly slaps Gennady in the back of his head again and then on his forehead. He grabs Gennady by the hair.

Anatoly: Come on... come on. Tell me what I need to know. Come on.

Gennady shakes his head.

Gennady: They'll kill me.

Jack looks at his watch again and Anatoly lets go of Gennady's hair.

Anatoly: You asked for my help. Come on.

Jack: (Sighs) Come on.

Gennady: The contact in Minsk...

Jack: The name, pal. Give us the name.

Gennady: Dimitri... Miediev.

Jack then types the name into his computer. The waitress behind him grabs a tray that has shots of vodka on it and puts something into the drinks. Jack finds that Dimitri Miediev is working with the American Consultant in Kiev and he nods and smirks in satisfaction. The waitress leaves through a door and enters the hotel room. Anatoly grabs the two shot glasses.

Gennady: What now?

Anatoly hands Gennady one of the glasses.

Anatoly: Now we drink.

Jack grabs his own foam cup and raises it in a mock toast fashion.

Jack: Za druzei.

He takes a drink.

Gennady drinks the shot and Anatoly only pretends to drink his. Gennady immediately begins to choke and passes out. Anatoly takes off his gloves and checks Gennady's pulse while the waitress straightens out his legs. Anatoly stands up and walks to a blind spot in the monitor and pulls a small table out of the way. He opens a door and enters the room Jack is in. Jack hands Anatoly a device and Anatoly tears off his "face" and reveals himself to be Ethan Hunt.

Ethan: (In English) Get rid of that scum.

The waitress taps the wall a few times and a crew starts taking down the set. Ethan takes off his coat and pulls a small case out of his pocket. He opens it and there's a syringe inside. Two men then get to Gennady's body and pick him up, one grabbing his torso and the other his legs. Ethan injects the syringe into Claire's arm. He waits.

Ethan: (Whispered) Come on.

He places his hand on her face and she starts to stir. She opens her eyes and sees Ethan standing over her. Ethan sighs in relief and Claire smiles.

Claire: (Hushed) Did we get it?

Ethan nods.

Ethan: We got it.