"Your Mission..."

Jim Phelps sits on an airplane in first class looking at a picture of his wife, Claire, in his wallet. A flight attendant, Annabel Mullion, walks through the aisles holding a tray of cassette tapes.

Annabel: Would you like to watch a movie, Mr. Rosen?

Rosen: No thank you.

She walks to Jim.

Annabel: Would you like to watch a movie, Mr. Phelps?

Jim looks up at her and folds his wallet.

Jim: No, I prefer the theater.

Annabel: Would you consider the cinema of the Ukraine?

He looks at her for a moment, gives a small smirk, and puts his wallet in his coat.

Jim: Perhaps you'll choose one for me.

She takes one of the tapes and hands it to Jim.

Jim: Thank you.

She walks away. Jim presses a button on a remote beside him, places the tape into the side compartment of his seat, closes it, puts on a set of headphones, pulls up a small screen, and presses another button on the remote. A recorded message from Agent Eugene Kittridge begins to play.

Kittridge: Good morning, Mr. Phelps. The man you're looking at is Alexander Golitsyn, an attaché at our embassy in Prague. He is also a traitor. He has stolen one half of a CIA NOC list, a record of all our deep-cover agents working in Eastern Europe. For security reasons, the NOC List is divided in two. The portion that Golitsyn already has contains code names, but this half is useless without its mate, which matches the code names with their true names. It is this half which Golitsyn plans to steal from the embassy during a reception tomorrow night. Your mission, Jim, should you choose to accept it, is to obtain photographic proof of the theft, shadow Golitsyn to his buyer, and apprehend them both. I've already dispatched a team selected from your usual group. Sarah Davies is already undercover, Jack Harmon can hack into any security system, Hannah Williams will handle surveillance, your wife, Claire, will cover transport, and Ethan Hunt will be your point man, as usual. He is now in Kiev and will rendezvous in Prague in a safe house of your choosing. As always, should you or any member of your IM Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions.

Jim places a cigarette in his mouth and lights it.

Kittridge: This tape will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim.

Steam comes out of the tape compartment and Jim continues smoking.

In a large house, Y/N L/N grabs a can of Miller High Life from his fridge, lifts the tab to open it, and takes a drink. Cecily Levine and Roman Beckett sit in the living room.

Cecily: Hey, Y/N, I've been meaning to ask you. How's that work presentation going?

Y/N: (Sighs) Well, it's going.

Roman chuckles.

Roman: You'll get there, bud. I got faith.

Y/N chuckles back.

Y/N: Thanks, Roman.

He takes another sip from the can and sits on the couch.

Cecily: Hey, can I ask you guys something?

Y/N: Shoot.

Roman: Yeah, sure, go ahead.

Cecily looks down for a moment and sighs.

Cecily: Do you ever miss it?

The two men both tilt their heads.

Y/N: What do you mean?

Cecily: The missions, the agent life.

Roman: Hm, that's a tough one. I mean, if I'm being honest, a little bit, I guess. Y/N? What about you?

Y/N shrugs.

Y/N: Eh. Not really.

Cecily: No? Not even a little bit?

Y/N: What is there to miss?

Cecily: Well, there's the thrill, the unexpectedness, the friends we made...

Y/N: Maybe, but we're all disavowed anyway, so what's the point in reminiscing?

Roman: Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about good memories.

Y/N: (Under his breath) Good memories. Right.

Roman: What was that now?

Y/N: Nothing.

Cecily: (Concerned) Are you okay, Y/N?

Y/N: (Defensively) Yeah, I'm fine.

Cecily: Okay. If you say so.

He doesn't show it, but Y/N begins brooding over his unpleasant memories of his time in IMF as an agent.