S01E03: I Was a Teenage Abomination

Open on the sun, panning down to show Luz, Eda, King, and Y/N standing on a beach.

EDA: Well, Luz, Y/N!

She elbowed both of them.

EDA: Did you ever in your life think you'd see something as breathtaking as this?

Eda was gesturing to the corpse of a trash slug that towered over them. It's surrounded by trash and muck. Flies audibly buzz around the corpse.

Y/N covers his nose.

Y/N: The only thing that this thing took is my sense of smell.

Luz shook her head

LUZ:  I don't like this.

She plugs her nose.

Eda walks to the trash slug.

EDA: Yes, it doesn't get much more inspiring than the trash slug. It makes a home, a life from what others have thrown by the wayside.

She pulls a rubber chicken from the trash slug's mouth.

EDA:  Until, blam, it gets blasted by a wave one day and croaks from all the salt. And then we get to sell the stuff it ate.

Eda pulls out a pickaxe.

LUZ: Please don't make me.

Y/N: I'd rather eat something unknown to me from a sketchy food vendor.

King walks away.

KING: Aw, come on, you two.

He unfurls a towel.

KING: It's not every day you get to go to the dump and pick apart a garbage carcass.

EDA: Ah, nuts to all three of you.

Eda swings the pick at the trash slug.

LUZ: So, Eda...

Glass shatters.

LUZ: What if we tried some new lessons for my apprenticeship? Like...

Something crashes.

LUZ: Read ancient scrolls or mix together potions, or—

Y/N: Anything at all.

Eda tossed things from the trash slug's mouth.

EDA: Ugh. That sounds like a bunch of magic school stuff.

LUZ: Wait. Is there a magic school here? Like, winding towers, cute uniforms, dark plots that threaten your life kind of magic school?

EDA: Mm-hmm. What's worse, they force you to learn magic the "proper" way. But magic isn't proper. It's wild and unpredictable. And that's why it's so beautiful. I didn't finish school, and look at me! Who wouldn't envy where I am right now?

Flies are flying around the pile of trash Eda is currently standing in. Luz's expression falls.

Y/N(SARCASTIC): You're a bright example to all witches.

EDA: Uh... Hey, here's a lesson.

Eda drops her axe.

EDA: A great witch is resourceful...

She sticks Luz's hand in a puddle of trash slug bile.

EDA: like this.

Eda drags Luz's hand back and forth before letting go. Luz continues digging until she pulls something out.