1:1 the perks of being a wallflower

"We accept the love we think we deserve

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

☂️

Boston / Before
2015

"Don't even think about being late, Adams!
I'll shove this cake in your face if you make me wait.
x Jo"

Scar had to read it three times to understand her best friend's message, but once she processed Joane's warning, she widened her eyes and jolted upright in bed, dropping her phone as she rushed to the bathroom.

"She's going to kill me!" she repeated to herself, splashing water on her face. She knew it was too late to take a shower before catching a ride to school.

She brushed her teeth while getting rid of her pajamas, tangling her legs in the pants with a pattern of magic wands. Three minutes later, she assessed her appearance in front of the large mirror in her room.

The green uniform of Boston Trinity Academy was looser than that of most other students. Scarlett wasn't insecure about her appearance; she just didn't see the point in dressing up while feeling invisible.

Her face devoid of any makeup seemed pale against the strong red of her long, always unkempt curls. She briefly considered brushing them but, glancing at the clock from the corner of her eye, realized she was out of time.

She just put on her sneakers, grabbed her backpack, and dashed down the hallway, nearly running over the cat on the stairs.

"Sorry, Skymeowalker!" she hurriedly apologized, watching the ball of fur dart upstairs.

"Where's the fire?"

Scarlett closed the fridge and looked back, finding the calm figure of her mother sitting at the table.

Debra looked at her in her usual sweet way, sipping on a hot cup of coffee.

"The fire is coming! Joane is on her way," she replied, stuffing her snack into her backpack.

She knew her friend's mood was sensitive to lateness. She would never forget the day Jo barged into their yard in her car, honking madly because she was already waiting for five minutes.

"Oh, please... Then you better hurry. I don't want her to ruin my new garden gnome collection," she replied calmly, as always.

Debra was used to Joane's mishaps; she had been frequenting their old house since she was little.

Few things got the older woman worked up. Scar could count on one hand the number of times she had seen her mother stressed. She thought it might be the effect of yoga... Maybe it would be good for her to start practicing it too.

"Bye, Mom," she announced, getting ready to leave the house.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" she used a suggestive tone, causing Scar to purse her lips and turn around with a grimace.