𝟶𝟿. Custody Loss

────────── ❆ ❄️ ❆ ──────────

Drastic is exactly what the Millers went for. By late October, Scott and Noelle had been informed that Laura had decided to fight for full custody of Charlie. Noelle had cried for hours when she learned that she would lose visitation rights too due to her assistance in her father's alleged delusions. Finally, the day came for their interviews with the Judge and Noelle was beyond nervous about the entire situation, she couldn't believe her mother would take it this far but she guessed that Neal was the mastermind behind all of it.

While Charlie was talking with Judge Wayland, Laura and Neal sat outside the office by the window. "Are we doing the right thing, Neal?" Laura asked her husband with an unsure expression. "Something needs to shake Scott," Neal assured her as he held her hand. "Yeah, but -- But to take away his visitation rights. And to take Charlie away from Noelle..." Laura trailed off, her heart breaking at the thought of her eldest, the one who always had faith in Christmas even when others put her down for it.

"Honey, the man is delusional. He's dragged Noelle into this and needs to understand that his actions and coercion have consequences," Neal reassured her in his 'doctor' voice. "Okay, okay. So maybe I'm having second thoughts, kind of. I just -- I mean, what was so bad about Charlie believing in Santa?" Laura asked Neal. "Well, he's a little old. Oh, come on, Laura. Don't you remember when you stopped believing in Santa Claus?" Neal asked her making her sigh. "I was Charlie's age, I guess. Noelle never gave up on it though," Laura answered her husband.

"I wrote Santa a letter every week that year," Laura spoke before correcting herself, "Well, okay. You know, maybe -- Maybe not every week. But... Boy, I really wanted a Mystery Date Game. Do you remember those?" Laura noticed Neal's confusion and shook her head, "No. Of course, you don't. You know, no one does. I don't even think they make them anymore, but -- Well, anyway -- Christmas morning came and... Oh, I got dozens of presents. I got everything. Except Mystery Date." She sighed and looked down as she remembered that disappointing Christmas.

"I was three, and it was an Oscar Mayer Wienie Whistle. Christmas came. No Wienie Whistle. And that's when I stopped believing," Neal expressed to Laura who was shocked by his words. "You were three?" Laura asked. "Yeah," Neal nodded as Scott and Noelle approached them. "Where's Charlie?" Scott asked, "I want to talk to him." Laura looked up at Scott and her daughter, "He's with the judge." The door to the office opened to reveal Charlie and Judge Wayland. "Noelle Calvin?" Judge Wayland questioned. "That's me," Noelle replied. "May we speak in my office," Judge Wayland requested before leading her in, Noelle looked back at Scott before closing the door.