Reflection

After Randall had calmed down everyone looked at each other and had the same thought, 'Don't bring up middle school'. 

"So, we should all hang out somewhere, does ice cream sound good to y'all?" Mikey asked

"Sure," said Gus

"I don't mind" Gretchen chimed in

"Great we can head over to Cold Stone this Friday"

"I can't do Friday, I've got a date" Said Gus

"Saturday then?"

"I'm free that day" 

It was agreed that they would go on Saturday.

"So, what are you guys excited for this year?" Gretchen asked

"Basketball season," Vince said "This year everyone's gonna get a whole new load of Vince on the court."

"I can't wait for senior week. The one week we're finally appreciated. Last year the seniors had hand-made breakfast and got to get candy during lunch" Mikey said excitedly

"I can't wait to go to prom." Gus was already thinking of what it would be like to walk through the doors with Laura linked up on his arm.

"Well, it's my first and last year on the student council. I hope I can live up to everyone's expectations" Randall mumbled

"That's the spirit" Mikey patted Randall's back.

The bell rang, signaling it was time to head to the other classes. Everyone got up and got ready.

"So, Cold Stone on Saturday. Does 2 pm work for everyone?" Mikey asked.

"Yeah" Everyone agreed simultaneously. The rest of the school day went without a hitch. Some people got teachers they knew they'd love while others got teachers they knew they would hate. When the last bell rang, it was time for dismissal, something that the gang was excited about was using the senior parking lot. The gang had all acquired their driver's licenses together over the summer after fighting tooth and nail to reserve a spot for themselves. The senior lot was closest to the school and before the school year would end the juniors would rush in to preserve a spot. The group was walking to the parking lot.

"So, how was the last first day? Did you guys get promising teachers?" TJ asked

"Everything was going good until I went to my last period and who do I get? Ms. Issac." Spinelli complained

"Oooh," the group said at the same time

"If there's one thing that bitch is the best at it's being loud and annoying. No wonder Lawson was warning us all last year." 

"I got Mr. Evans, he's so funny and cool. He really knows how to make psychology sound fun." Gus said

"Well, I lucked out." Vince chimed in. "My coach also teaches Econ so it's convenient. We can talk about school and basketball. He's also pumped up about homecoming."

"Speaking of, anybody knows who they'll ask to the dance?" TJ asked "Besides Gus"

Spinelli seemed to perk up when TJ mentioned the homecoming dance. She's had a crush on TJ since freshman year. Hell, even the whole senior class knew something was up. But TJ being TJ, he was so oblivious to any hints she threw at him. But in his defense, Spinelli isn't very good at opening up about feelings. 

"Hmm, I don't think I'll attend homecoming this year," Gretchen said.

This caused the whole group to gasp. Vince went to Gretchen and put his hand on her forehead.

"She's not running a fever"

"I'm obviously not sick guys, it's just that every year we went to homecoming nobody asked me."

"But we would always be there to keep you company, we even went as friends last year." Said Mikey 

"And I'm grateful for that, but I was hoping this year would be different. I know I'm usually too busy to find someone but I was wanting to find a date."

"Hey, it's alright" Spinelli was trying to cheer up her friend. "I'm sure you'll find someone, and if not then we'll still be there for you."

Everyone nodded their heads

"Thanks, you guys." The gang had finished their relatively short walk and found their rides. "Oh Spinelli, I can't take you home today. I have to go grocery shopping for my mom."

"That's alright."

"Hey, you can ride with me if you want." TJ offered

.

.

.

"So, your car's still being repaired?" TJ asked

"Yeah, my parents wanted to surprise me with a custom-made car and they're doing the final repairments. That parking spot I bought will not go to waste!"

On their way to the neighborhood, they passed by Third Street Elementary. From there they were able to see the playground.

"Man, Old Rusty is still going strong," TJ said. He pointed to a spot in the playground. "That's Sam and Dave's old digging spot."

"Oh yeah, and there's the Ashley's old hangout," Spinelli said excitedly

As the drive continued, the two recalled places and memories from the playground.

"I remember when you were scared of going to middle school because it meant no recess. You had everyone protesting to the principal to give us recess." Spinelli laughed.

"Desperate times called for desperate measures." TJ shrugged while chuckling. "Oh, you remember that time we had to ki-"

TJ paused his sentence remembering when he and Spinelli kissed in front of the school.  His face was getting uncomfortably warm and Spinelli was beet red picturing that moment again in her head. It was just a kiss so why am I getting flustered remembering it? TJ thought. TJ had always felt something whenever he thought about a flustering moment with Spinelli. 

Do I like her? He'd always ask. 

No, that can't be. 

"W-well uh, we're here." TJ was struggling to form words into a sentence. "I'll see you t-tomorrow."

"Y-yeah see you" 

.

.

As TJ was driving to his own house his mind kept re-playing that kiss no matter how many times he tried to ignore it. It's just a kiss, it's just a kiss, we were just kids trying to prove a point so it was just a harmless kiss. . . It was just a harmless kiss, right?

.

.

.

.

"No way Bruster's is better than Cold Stone" Mikey said defensively

"Think about it, there are more options than just ice cream and combinations and the toppings are to die for." Said Randall.

The first week of school had passed rather quickly and the gang was at Cold Stone watching Randall and Mikey debate about food. Something nobody ever thought would happen. As it turns out, Randall and the gang had a lot in common. He likes to place bets on team sports like Vince. He enjoys female wrestling like Spinelli but their reasons are totally different. Maybe Randall wasn't so bad after all.